Changing Router Info

Thread: Changing Router Info

Changing Router Info

I was having spotty internet service with my 5 year old Cisco router, so I bought a new Netgear AC-1900 Dual band router. After finally getting it installed, I decided that it appearing on the network list as NETGEAR 52 with the default password provided wasn't such a good idea so I went in to change it.

I was worried about hosing this operation and locking me out of the internet, so I changed the 2.4 Ghz band with a new name and a new password which I wrote down and checked several times before I hit apply. Sure enough, when I tried to connect to the newly named network, it told me I was entering the wrong key, and wouldn't let me connect.

Thankfully, I could still connect to the 5Ghz band, but I still don't feel very secure exposing myself as a Netgear router with a default password. Should I be concerned and what could have prevented me from connecting after I changed the other band? I KNOW I had the right password.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Netgear AC-1900 Dual band router
    What is the exact model number? AC1900 is the router class, not the model number.

BTW, one of the first thing you should have done is update the firmware. There are several security updates that have come out recently.

I changed the 2.4 Ghz band with a new name
    What name did you choose? Was it the same as your old router?

Netgear router with a default password
    I'm guessing you mean the password on the sticker. It's not a standard default password for all Netgear routers.

It's a Nighthawk R6900. I chose a new name that meant something to my family. Nothing like the Cisco. The password was the one that was given to me was I did the installation. It is composed of two "real" words and a three digit number, not dissimilar to the one my son got when he installed his netgear router. I've read somewhere that each manufacturer has a list of generic passwords that they use and that you can supposedly find this list somewhere on the internet. I did update the firmware before I tried the rename.

SSIDs are case-sensitive. I'd avoid using spaces and most special characters for SSID names also.

https://routersecurity.org/SSID.php

I've read somewhere that each manufacturer has a list of generic passwords that they use and that you can supposedly find this list somewhere on the internet.
    I'm pretty sure that's the list of default ADMIN passwords, not default SSID passphrases.

My new password was a combination of upper and lower case letter and numbers. No special characters. When I went to the list of available networks, the the newly named network was there, but when I entered the new password, I was told it was incorrect. I tried several times to no avail. When I went back into the netgear router screen, my new password was the exact one I had entered. I'm glad I didn't change both bands or I might now be locked out.

My new password was a combination of upper and lower case letter and numbers. No special characters.
    I said SSID, aka the network name, is case-sensitive. Special characters should be used in passwords. Of course passwords are case-sensitive also.

Your wireless setup page should look something like this:
    Enable SSID Broadcast = Checked
    Name (SSID) = <yourSSID>
    Channel = Auto
    Mode: Up to 600Mbps
    Security Options: WPA2-PSK (AES)
    Password (Network Key) = <yourpassword>
    Click Apply

I'm glad I didn't change both bands or I might now be locked out.
    You could still use the WIRED connection to get to the admin page. You should also change the default admin password. (pg 187 of the user manual)

You can download the manual here:
    https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6900#docs

Are you sure your network clients support 802.11n or ac? If you have old wireless clients, they might see 2.4GHz networks, but they may not support WPA2-AES encryption.

Thread Information