Monitor / graphics cards recommendations for photo editing with ASUS H170M PLUS

Thread: Monitor / graphics cards recommendations for photo editing with ASUS H170M PLUS

Monitor / graphics cards recommendations for photo editing with ASUS H170M PLUS

Hello,

I recently had my tower rebuilt with an ASUS H170M Plus motherboard, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, and a 2TB WD drive previously installed. Also, the new CPU is a Quad-Core i7-7700 LGA1151 3.6GHz 8M Cache 65W 4Core 8Threads Processor and Memory, 32GB upgrade; (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz (PC4 17000) Memory Kit. I can upgrade to 64GB. I’m using Window 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4054517).

I wanted to upgrade my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti to a GTX 1050 or 1060. My friend said that my GTX 550 Ti was fine but I now have my doubts…it’s old. He’s in my photo club but does little editing due to his work schedule. I don’t or seldom game but do a LOT of Photoshop, Lightroom and want color accuracy and excellent graphics that are very easy on the eyes as well.

One of his recommended new monitors I purchased was a LG 32” IPS LED 32MP58 with 1080p. It’s good for sitting back and watching You Tube but the text resolution, Word and overall resolution is LOUSY. My first question is would a new graphics card “REALLY” help a large 32” monitor with only 1080p? I’ll probably daisy chain this with a new monitor.

As of today I’m looking at a Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor (2560 x 1440) on Amazon for $360.00; good price although Dell seems to be priced a tad higher. I do like Samsung and LG IPS monitors. So I’m looking at monitors in that neighborhood with excellent resolution for photo editing and would even go 3480 x 2160 at that price point.

Also I would appreciate input on a quality GC for editing for the ASUS mainboard listed above. It seems the GTX 1060 and 1070’s are dropping in price every month. Also, two fan versus one fan? I will have You Tube tutorials, Photoshop and Lightroom going at the same time.

He did install a new Power Supply, EVGA 600 B1, 80+ BRONZE 600W, 3 Year Warranty. It’s very quiet and my older Swing tower runs very cool. If a two fan graphics card is only $20.00 more, it’s not a big deal.

Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor on Amazon (seems like a great price) link: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha...486992011&th=1

Any monitor and graphics card suggestions for my needs and motherboard would be appreciated!
    Sincerely,
    Mike

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Which ever you buy, your monitor needs calibrating to get true colors. And the 550 Ti should be okay. I used one for years editing photos, and never had a problem. PhotoShop and Lightroom benefit most from system memory. The more the better they preform.

Thanks, that will save me money on a graphics card!

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2rc View Post
    Thanks, that will save me money on a graphics card!
    You're welcome!

Thread Information