[UPDATED] Windows update broken for most Win 7 users. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [UPDATED] Windows update broken for most Win 7 users.

1. Microsoft's antivirus should be compatible. However, if the needed registry key is not already set, create it manually using the information at the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...virus-software

2. Try System File Checker from Safe Mode.

Just got back o this. Ran sfc in Safe-Mode. It ran about 30 seconds, then said this

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 52% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Same message I had in regular mode.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

GRC has a new tool for the Spectre-Meltdown updates. See the last post at the link below:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...99#post1534499

(I haven't been getting notifications of replies.)

OK, Ran the Inspectre program, see image below, now what? Gibson's always too verbose for non-techies.

Just tell me what to do next. Is that why my updates aren't installing and sfc can't run? NetFramework 4.71 isn't installing either.

Mozilla browsers are protected. I have 52.6 esr. I use Chrome only on a single website for work.
    Last edited by foxy; February 6th, 2018 at 04:30 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that tells you that you haven't updated your BIOS with the Spectre fix. Updating the browser won't completely fix it, no matter which browser you use. The problem is at the CPU level.

That image indicates that you do not have the Spectre and Meltdown updates installed. The data below that, which we cannot see, would indicate if the necessary Registry entry is in place for you to receive those updates. That would be the first thing to look for. You should be able to move the mouse cursor into that area and highlight and select ALL of the text so you can copy and paste it here.

The program window won't maximize and doesn't allow copy + paste. I've captured it in a series of screenshots numbered 1-7.

It won't accept #7.

Attachment 14623

It's things like this that make me want to throw all my machines out the window, except now I need them for work. Is every Windows user going through this, having to update their BIOS? Very few users know how to do that.

Can I resolve this by just changing my A-V program? But I already have the proper key with MSE.

Why isn't sfc running?

The best part is I have to do this with my other machine too. I could get a retail job at $10/hour and stop using my machines for online work...
    Last edited by foxy; February 7th, 2018 at 03:40 PM.

Your sfc appears to be running, but it may or may not be completing the checks if it runs that fast. I have not tested it for speed on any of my systems.

Changing your A/V program probably won't help. A/V does not provide protection against Spectre or Meltdown vulnerabilities, although it may be able to detect attacks.

The BIOS updates are on hold for now, since they were causing unexpected shutdowns. Intel and the computer/motherboard manufacturers are still working on an updated patch.

All computer users that have Intel or some AMD processors will be facing this issue, whether they use Windows, Linux, or Apple Mac systems.

From what I can see, you have the Registry key needed, although you can also check using RegEdit:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erabilities-in

Patch download info:

https://blog.barkly.com/meltdown-spe...ws-update-help

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...tre-cpu-flaws/

https://winaero.com/blog/windows-7-8...tre-cpu-flaws/

Thanks, I read all 3. I have not "disable preview builds" as I don't know what they are. I'm back to my original Q: How do I get my 2 Jan updates to install?

KB4056894
    KB4033342 NET Framework 4.7.1

I love MS. They send updates for their own bugs, they can't install their own updates, then they send fixes for the updates, but the fixes cause problems.....

Neither works. I'm just letting this go, because I've stopped caring. I'm not reinstalling Win 7.

What do you mean "neither works"? You can't download them? I had no trouble doing that. They won't install? What error messages are you getting? What happens when you try to run the installers?

Using your links:
    --894 file which has a standalone installer. It downloads, asks permission, starts installing, see image

There were 3 files on the 2nd page. The 3rd wasn't for my system
    1st--Fatal error
    2nd-- "has failed. Does not apply or is blocked by another condition."

The error on KB4054852 would indicate that you do not have the version of the Dot Net Framework that the patch is for installed on your computer.

Unfortunately, the KB4056894 installer does not say what the error was, just that the installation failed. You might have to wait for Microsoft to update the patch for that KB to get it to install.

Thread Information