[RESOLVED] Lost My Sound - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Lost My Sound

I could not change the playback device to headphones/speakers. It wouldn't let me.
    You said you couldn't change the playback device, so I thought you knew.

Right-click on the Speaker icon in the taskbar, and click Playback devices
    Click on the Realtek High Definition Audio Device and then click the "Set Default" button

Which color should the RCA plug be plugged into?

RCA? I don't see RCA jacks on the XPS 730X. If you mean the 3.5mm audio jacks, then the green jack should be audio out.

My mistake, audio jack.

So I got a laptop, plugged the audio jack plug into the laptop from the receiver and I have sound from the receiver playing a youtube video. I don't know if that means anything.

Ok, so it seems like the receiver is working. Did you set your default playback device?

There's always the possibility that it's a problem with the sound card hardware. If there is a headphone port in the front, try that also.

I right clicked on the speaker icon, clicked on "playback devices". The "Set Default" choice is grayed out

I also tried the headset. Nothing.

The "Set Default" choice is grayed out
    Do you have more than one device listed? If you only have one device and it is already the default, the button should be grayed out.

It should say something like "Speakers/Headphones" and "Realtek High Definition Audio"

Dumb question, but you're sure it's not set to "mute", right?

On the box that says "sound" on the "playback tab" it lists "speakers/headphones" "realtek high definition audio not plugged in" "realtek digital output" "realtek high definition audio default device" "realtek HDMI output" "realtek high definition audio disabled" There is a red arrow pointing down by "speakers/headphones" there is a green circle with a checkmark by "realtek digital output" there is a white circle with a black arrow pointing down next to "realtek HDMI output" . there is a "configure", "set default", "properties" box grayed out. I am not sure where to look for "mute" so I don't know.

If the "mute" is located on the lower right then is not muted

This is a really weird one. You'd want Speakers/headphones to be the default, not the other ones.

Is the Realtek Audio Manager running? It's mentioned in this thread:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ad1f7f3?auth=1

I also saw this. Maybe your settings got messed up?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCQOTBXFznw

I have been trying the youtube link off and on to make sure I get it right. I did get the speakers and mic as default. I think so anyway. There is a check mark by them. In the one box I did not get "tie up some type of imput jack" to show up to make that choice. When I put the mouse on the speaker icon lower right it says "realtek digital output 100%. If I click on the icon it says "realtek digital output (realtek high definition)" and if I click on the little up symbol I get "select playback device" with choices "speakers (creative sb x-Fi)" which it mutes the speaker icon symbol. "headphone (realtek high definition audio)" which unmutes the speaker icon. "realtek digital output (realtek high definition audio)" Not muted. "spdif out (creative sb x-fi)". Not muted. I am not sure which one to pick. I also don't know if the "realtek audio manager" is running.

Creative SB? Do you have a Creative card? You didn't mention that before. Are the audio ports in a slot or built into the motherboard?

"headphone (realtek high definition audio)" is probably the one you want, but that whole Creative thing throws a monkeywrench into it.

I also don't know if the "realtek audio manager" is running.
    You don't see the Realtek audio icon in the systray?

My apologies. I didn't know I had a Soundblaster card until I pulled it out. Everything kept saying "Realtek". There are five audio ports on the sound card. I don't see the Realtek audio icon in the systray

Thread Information