Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Lost My Sound

Resolved [RESOLVED] Lost My Sound

computer-ACPIx64 based pc
    Windows 10

In the "control panel" under "sound, video, and "game" there is
    NVIDIA vitual audio device (wave extensible)WDM

Realtek high definition audio control panel

then I get a box that says "sound" with tabs that say "playback" "recording" "sounds" "communications" and a statement that says "select a playback device below to modify the settings" there are three choices "speakers/headphones" "realtek digital output" and "realtek HDMI output" By the "speakers/headphone" icon is a red arrow pointing down saying "not plugged in" By the "realtek digital output" icon it says "realtek high definition audio ready" By the "realtek HDMI output" it says "realtek high definition audio default device" and the is a checkmark by the icon. Under the "recording" tab the jackmic microphone and line in it says not plugged in. I am running my sound through a stereo receiver using the "Aux". The sound was working yesterday. I unplugged an reinstalled all the connections. Tried updating the drivers. They were all current. Ran the troubleshooter. I don't know what isn't "plugged in" and nothing was changed. I don't know if any of this will help. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.

computer-ACPIx64 based pc
    Windows 10
    What is the exact make/model of the computer or motherboard?

I am running my sound through a stereo receiver using the "Aux".
    Then speakers/headphone should probably be the default, not HDMI. Is the "Aux" a separate port?

computer-Dell XPS 730X 00

board-Dell OP27OJAOO

Computer will not let me make speakers/headphone be the default

The stereo is probably from the 70s, Fisher Studio Standard. I would say the "AUX" is a separate port.

Dell XPS 730X
    Are there any errors in the Device Manager? If it was working yesterday, did you try a System Restore to a previous point?

The stereo is probably from the 70s, Fisher Studio Standard. I would say the "AUX" is a separate port.
    Is the AUX port on the stereo or on the computer?

The "Aux" port is on the receiver. No errors in the device manager. I'm not sure but i think the "System Restore" is turned off. No sure where that is.

If you have System Restore turned off, it should definitely be turned on.

Link:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system...estore-windows

Thank you! It is now on and a restore point created. But I am thinking it is for the current configuration and would not help now.

The "Aux" port is on the receiver. No errors in the device manager. I'm not sure but i think the "System Restore" is turned off. No sure where that is.
    Then what port is it connected to on the computer? Did you try testing the computer with regular headphones?

I tried regular headphones. I tried powered speakers. I tried the plugs for headphones on the front of the computer and tried the all five of the plug in's on the card in the back of the computer. I'm assuming that is what you meant by "port". I just don't understand when it says "not plugged in".

I'm assuming that is what you meant by "port".
    I meant the audio output port on your computer.

So you unplug the receiver, plug in headphones to the audio output port, and then try to change the default playback device to headphones/speakers?

Can you disable the HDMI audio? What type of monitor are you using?

You said you tried updating the audio drivers. Did you go to the Dell site and download/reinstall the drivers or not?

Has anything else changed recently?

I unplugged the receiver from the computer, plugged in the headphones to the green jack (I actually tried them all). I also tried powered speakers and no sound. I could not change the playback device to headphones/speakers. It wouldn't let me. I disabled the HDMI audio. No sound. Acer P244W digital. I tried updating the drivers and it said they were current. I did not go to the Dell site. Nothing changed that I know of.

Acer P244W digital
    Just wanted to make sure there were speakers in the monitor, or that you're not using a TV as a monitor.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...s-730x/drivers
    I don't see Win10 or Win8 drivers on the Dell support site, so I'm guessing you upgraded from Win7? It looks like your system has Realtek ALC888 audio.

Try uninstalling the audio and installing an updated driver:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r308...for-Windows-10

Uninstalled the driver for Realtek. Downloaded the driver for Windows 10. Ran it and restarted the computer. No sound. Device manager said the devise is working. In the device manager there is "realtek high definition audio" and "NVIDIA GeForce9400GT" display adaptor listed. The little speaker on the bottom left now says Realtek HDMI output 100%. Am I missing something simple that got turned off?

The little speaker on the bottom left now says Realtek HDMI output 100%
    Yes. The sound is outputting through the HDMI port, so of course you wouldn't hear anything through the headphones. Check the default playback device, and make sure it's NOT on HDMI.

I'm so confused. How do I check for default playback device.

Thread Information