Dead video card...

Thread: Dead video card...

Dead video card...

My 6-year-old Ibuypower formerly gaming pc's video card has apparently died. It is an nvidia geforce gtx 460. This was my sons gaming pc, but he has a new one that he uses. I use this one for basic stuff and rarely, for video editing. Since my pc is 6 years old, is it worth replacing the video card? Also, do I have to replace it with the exact same thing since gaming is not done on it? If not, let me know what inexpensive video card I can replace it with. Thanks!

Provided the computer is/was still functioning adequately for your needs, replacing the video card would be much less expensive than a new computer.

What is your price range for a replacement? You can check through what is available at the link below:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...NE&N=100007709 600030348 4025 4026 4027&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=36

Beside the dead video card, it's working ok, but it is 6 years old. I clicked on your link, but didn't see my video card. The prices I've seen are used around $50 and new around $200 or so. Since it's not used for gaming, I was hoping there was a basic video card that I could put it in it that would be new, but much cheaper than this one.

Use the drop down and select lowest to highest
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CE&PageSize=36

Amazon has your card listed
    https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-.../dp/B003ZMTPEW

I did not find my exact video card at Newegg and the one at Amazon is $125 for a used one. I wanted to find a "new" one for under $50 or so. I was hoping I didn't have to replace the one I have with the exact thing since I don't need a good video card. I'll probably just replace the computer. Thanks!

Newegg have plenty of cards in the $30-$50 range just perfect for light use until you have funds for a new pc.
    Current PC

Zoostorm
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, (XP Mode virtual pc enabled)
    WEI 7.4, 7.6, 7.9, 7.9, 5.9
    Intel Core i5-2310, 8GB Ram
    Geforce GTX 660 OC
    Samsung Syncmaster SA300 23.6" monitor

Folding@home
    User Name Sintares
    Team guru3d

There is no such thing as overkill. 'Open fire' and 'is it dead?' are the only sane options when threatened.

I did not see any for under $50 new. I do not need a good video card. I just wanted to know if I could replace it with something else. I have funds I just didn't want to put a lot of money into an old computer. I just ordered a new computer and will pull the hard drives out of this one and junk it. For the record, I've already had to replace 2 or 3 parts on this Ibuypower pc. I don't think I will order another from them. Usually my computers (random brands) last 8-10 years and still work, but get too slow. Thanks for the responses.

New is about all I see here
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...60&order=PRICE
    be sure to check the other pages too.

If someone can tell me a video card for under $50 that will work, I might still fix it. But I don't know what works besides this Nvidia. I do not need a good graphics card.

Just about any nvidia card will work and you most likely will NOT have to change the driver either.

Well that's what I wanted to know. I ordered a cheap Nvidia card off of Ebay to try. If it works, I'll still have my old computer as a backup. If not, I'm not out much and will have a new computer. Thanks so much!

Thread Information