Word 2010 docs spontaneously become "Read-Only," can't change it back

Thread: Word 2010 docs spontaneously become "Read-Only," can't change it back

Word 2010 docs spontaneously become "Read-Only," can't change it back

Hi all,

I did a Forum search for this issue but didn't really find anything that helped.

To follow the "sticky-note" thread with instructions on info to include in the thread:

O/S: Win7 Pro 64-bit
    S/W version: MS Word 2010
    Internet: Google fiber optic via CAT6 cable
    AV: BitDefender Total Internet Security 2018

In brief, I've had a number of Word 2010 docs spontaneously change to "Read-Only," i.e. without a request to do so. I would add that, at home, I don't have occasion to mark docs "Read Only" anyway.

I right-clicked the file in Windows Explorer; the "Read Only" box was NOT checked. I tried checking it and then unchecking it again, then clicking on "Apply," but that did nothing.

I finally did a "Save-As" and appended the filename with "Rev1," but when I reopened it, it was still in "Read Only" mode. As with the original file, I tried checking the "Read Only" box and then unchecking it again, then clicking on "Apply," but that again did nothing.

I have no idea how my docs are suddenly becoming "Read Only," or how to remove them from that status. I did google the issue, but on reading the results, no one seemed to have a solution, or know why this is happening.

Thanks in advance,
    David G.

Has anything about the folder where the files are stored changed? If the folder is marked read only that would cause this issue.

Make a new folder like C:\TEMP and save some Docs there. Are they OK?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thread Information