Can't click and drag in Chrome

Thread: Can't click and drag in Chrome

Can't click and drag in Chrome

I am using a Bamboo Fun Tablet (an old one) and I don't have a mouse installed on my computer. Since earlier today, I noticed that I can no longer click and drag to select a large amount of text or a word.

I tried restarting my computer, thinking it was just "tired". It seemed to work for a few minutes (I was in the process of using MailChimp to write a newsletter) but didn't last.

I thought of trying a different page. I was able to select a username while logging into my site. But that only worked a couple of times before it stopped.

I reinstalled the most recent driver for my tablet and rebooted again. Same issue.

I visited the forum on my site, and I cannot select any text.
    Even while typing in here, I cannot select text.
    The only way I can select a block of text is to click at the beginning of the text, hold the Shift key and click at the end.

On the other hand, I can select text in a Word document, in an email (using Outlook), and i can select the url in the bar on top in Chrome.

While I changed browser to Firefox, I can select any text in my forum, or the other sites/pages I could not select text on, in Chrome.

I checked and my chrome is said to be up-to-date with Version 62.0.3202.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Maybe this version is buggy?? I don't remember doing an active update of Chrome today. Maybe it is automatic?

Chrome generally automatically updates itself, so the latest update may be the issue. Chrome is bloatware these days, and it, like most browsers, is always buggy because it is updated constantly and not properly tested first.

If that Wacom Bamboo tablet is working OK in other applications, then Chrome is likely to blame. You could check for an updated driver for the tablet. If there is one, it might or might not solve the issue.

I already have the latest driver for my tablet. That didn't solve anything.

If you have the latest driver, then it looks like you may be out of luck using the tablet input device with Chrome, at least until:

1. Wacom updates their driver to support the latest Chrome (unlikely).

2. Google updates Chrome to fix the issue (only slightly less unlikely).

What version of Windows are you using? This may make a difference, but probably not.

Other options:

1. Use a USB mouse (can be attached at the same time as the Wacom tablet) when using Chrome.

2. Use a different browser. If you want the Chrome engine, you could try Vivaldi.

I am using Windows 7.

Interestingly, the mouse that comes with the tablet lets me click and highlight, but the pen doesn't.

With Windows 7, it is unlikely, although not impossible, that a Windows update caused the issue. If the issue started right after installing Windows updates, then it might be more likely to be an update issue.

Where do i check when was the last windows update?

I checked and there were updates almost every single day in the last couple of weeks so that is not really pinpointing anything.

I contacted the Wacom company and I reset everything they suggested, uninstalled and reinstalled the tablet driver. No success.

I finally sent out an email to Google. No idea if i have any chance of getting any response.

After several email exchange with the Wacom tech support, i got this last one:

"I have received the advice that this could be an issue with the Google Chrome browser that is being worked on but there is not an estimated time for it to be resolved. The current workaround is to disable hardware acceleration. For that, please do the following:

On Google Chrome, click on the three dot menu that is on the upper right side of the browser and select Settings. In the Settings screen, scroll down and click on Advanced. Then scroll down to the System title and switch off "Use hardware acceleration when available."

Also, you may want to uncheck the use of Windows Ink from your Wacom Tablet Properties screen, in the Mapping tab. "

In the end, the Hardware Acceleration could be re-enabled withouth issue, so the Windows Ink from the Wacom Tablet Properties did the trick. So now, that is the only change that I have, and I have recovered the click and highlight functionality in Chrome.

Hopefully, it will be helpful to someone else.

Thanks for the update. At least Wacom was able to help you locate the issue. Considering what Windows Ink does, it could certainly interfere with pointing device drivers in certain applications.

the version of Chrome OS is updated so frequently than it may cause many issues. also it may because of the drawing tablet driver problem.
    I use a XP-Pen Star G430S Drawing Pad for a few years now, and I used it with a asus Chromebook for digital writing and taking notes. Some time ago it suddenly become not compatible with Chrome OS devices. Soon after that it woks fine.I don't know why but I think it's the problem of version update.

Thread Information