[RESOLVED] HP Laser Printer Doesn't Work Properly

Thread: [RESOLVED] HP Laser Printer Doesn't Work Properly

Resolved [RESOLVED] HP Laser Printer Doesn't Work Properly

Windows 10

Someone unplugged the HP LaserJet 2300 printer which was working just fine. When I did an error check I got this message. "HP laserjet 2300 is an older USB device and may not work with USB 3.0"

Below that message was this. "Turn on the printer %PRINTERNAME%"

The printer would print but not the proper document. Where do I turn on the printername? Any more info you need, let me know.

Thanks

I assume that this is a local printer connected via USB cable to a computer. If you open the Printers folder, you should see an icon for it. If you do not see Ready next to the icon, right-click on it and see what shows up for menu options.

You should probably have this printer plugged in to a USB 2.0 port if one is available, and save your USB 3.x ports for faster devices.

Thanks for the reply! Yes it is a USB cable that was unplugged when I go there. After plugging in the cable I opened the print folder and it was listed as an icon. I also set it up as the default printer. There were 7 files in the queue. I tried printing one of them. Nothing. That's when I ran the error check and got the message. I could print a test page. and I could print the previous file in the queue. But I could not select a file from Microsoft word and print it. There is no USB 2.0 port. The printer had been working fine.

You probably won't be able to print anything new to the printer with the old failed print job(s) still in the print queue. Try deleting them first. You may have to use the Delete All Jobs selection.

I'm not ignoring you. Been in bed for the past four days.

They are going to get a new printer with USB 3. Couldn't get it to work. Still wonder why it worked for all this time. Thanks for all your help!

How about this in Windows 10. Go to Device Manager. Select Universal Serial Bus Controller. Right click on USB 3.0 Root Hub. Click Uninstall. Does this disable USB 3.0 for everything? Thanks.

If it worked before, you should be able to get it working again.

Do not uninstall the USB 3.0 Root Hub. That won't help and may disable other devices.

Did you check the print queue for that printer and clear all jobs? If not, try that first. If yes, and it still does not print, delete the printer from the Printers folder and go through the printer driver install process that was used initially to create a new instance of the printer in the Printers folder.

Thanks for the reply! I did all those things. I'm glad you told me not to mess with the USB 3.0 hub. They can easily afford a new printer and it would be better for them. And me!!

Does that printer have a built-in wired Ethernet connection? Specs indicate it might. I would recommend using that to connect the printer. Windows 10 drivers should be available.

USBDeView can be used to view and remove any USB devices on the system.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Driver info for the printer can be found here:

https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c04745752

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/solutions/b...=af_s73wr2vct6

If you do decide to get a new printer, I would recommend a Brother unit with a wired network connection. The driers are much better and networking it is easy.

The printer is not for me. But I will recommend the Brother to them. There is another connection "IEEE 1284" with the wide plug you used to plug printers into. If it were my computer I would try your last recommendations. But I don't want to tie theirs up. Thanks again!

Thread Information