[RESOLVED] System Restore

Thread: [RESOLVED] System Restore

Resolved [RESOLVED] System Restore

What ho one and all,

First off, I will admit to knowing zilch about W10!

An elderly neighbour asked me if I could help as his computer was not operating the way it did a few days ago. I advise that I knew nothing about W10, but he does not even know how to access anything beyond his e-mail, documents and the internet.

Managed to find System Restore and with his agreement, hit the restore point from one week ago. 45 mins later, the "SR is initializing" screen is still there with the circular timer whizzing around. I have no idea what is happening nor how long it should take. Cannot even see if a HDD light is flashing.

Is this what happens with a W10 SR? How long should it take? Does it make any difference that when he bought, it was W8 and has automatically upgraded to W10?

Thanks and toodle pip

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

A System Restore should not take 45 minutes to initialize.

Do you have any details on exactly what on the computer was not operating the way it did a few days ago? Microsoft is now pushing out updates to Windows 10 that may be the cause. However, the first thing I would try on a computer that is being operated by an elderly neighbor who likely does not have loads of computer knowledge would be to scan for malware using Malwarebytes.

You are probably right and I did not even think of that. But I don't imagine that he has MWB or anything similar installed.

There were a couple of recent SR point with the Win Critical Update note, and I think that could be the cause; hence the reason I decide to give him the option of allowing me to hit the Yes button. As to what was wrong, apparently a few tiles had gone missing and his e-mail was not displaying the way it had previously. But since his e-mail is web based, I don't assume that is an OS issue.

Having just spoken with him, it is all up and running now but whatever the issue with the desktop and e-mail, that has not been resolved with an SR.

As usual, thanks,

Rex

If he is using a web browser to access his e-mail, and it looks different now, that could be due to either a browser update or change due to a Microsoft update (if he using Edge or Internet Explorer) or an update from Mozilla (Firefox) or Google (Chrome). IE11 did get an update that added a non-removable and unwanted Search box. Other possible causes include the e-mail provider changing their web page(s) that display the e-mail.

Microsoft also changed the Start Menu replacement again, so that could account for the missing tiles. More details on what web browser and web mail provider is being used and which tiles went missing might allow us to locate the cause and/or provide a possible fix.

The free version of MalwareBytes can be downloaded, installed, and updated without taking too much time, and it might be good to have available if needed, even if there is no malware present right now.

With your advice and some Google searching, I have learnt more about W10 than I knew yesterday.

He did not want me to add any new software so no MWB, but did manage to get his Mail tile back in position on the desktop. And for whatever reason, when starting mail, it now does default to the layout that he previously had. Can't find how to get the Print icon back to the mail taskbar, but showed him how to Cnt-P, so he is more of a happy bunny than yesterday.

Thanks for the assistance.

Possible help for the print button in Mail:

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...1-140525b7e4f8

Thanks. I did not check that but I'm sure it was there. However, he has told me that he had a Print icon on the Mail taskbar and the has gone AWOL. He is using Outlook so is mail is all internet based. Don't know how or if that affects anything.

Be sure to do a clean up.
    TFC by old timer does not intall. It run from where ever it is with no problem.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files...r-by-oldtimer/

123 GB is the most that I know of that has been removed. Sure speeded thing up to!

If he is really using Outlook for e-mail, below is a link with information on how to restore the Print icon:

https://www.extendoffice.com/documen...nt-button.html

Thanks for the links and ideas. I will swing by and install TFC and Malware then do a scan for him. Undoubtedly will find god knows how much junk.

Talking of which, I run XP on a 60 gb partition. Recently, I noticed it all slowing and with only around 8gb free. Did a check and found, apart from 14 gb for a VM, that System Restore and ConFig Safe taking up loads of space. Deleted very old CFS files and turned off SR (restarted again) and wow, recovered around 12 gb of space. XP now boots considerably faster and programs loading noticeably faster.

Will try to get his printer icon back to the ribbon (when did MS change the names of everything? Toolbar/Ribbon; Programs / Apps; Icons/Tiles) Thanks for the link.

Thread Information