RECTANGULAR GRAY VOLUME ICON WON'T GO AWAY, SITS ON TOP OF ALL TEXT ETC.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RECTANGULAR GRAY VOLUME ICON WON'T GO AWAY, SITS ON TOP OF ALL TEXT ETC.

Unhappy RECTANGULAR GRAY VOLUME ICON WON'T GO AWAY, SITS ON TOP OF ALL TEXT ETC.

Hello,

Gray rectangular icon has small yellow volume box, then long red strip with word "Volume" on top of strip, then "100" to the right of the strip. Sits on TOP of anything that is on the screen. Cannot put cursor on it, only under it.

It used to come & go, today it just stays on the screen. I have to type or look under it & around it & move scroll up and down to get around it. Tried to take a screen shot of it, could not do it.

I have Windows 7, use FireFox, computer is E-Machines.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Marilyn

It sounds like a volume control on your computer or speakers, rather than software.

What is the exact model of E-Machine? What kind of speakers do you have?

I agree, that sounds like something generated by hardware rather than Windows, since you can't get a screen capture of it or place the mouse pointer on it.

Does your monitor have built-in speakers? If so, the monitor could be generating that image.

E-Machine model is ET1161-07

Speakers are ASI Audio Technologies, SP.10600.018

Speakers are separate.

Ok. It's a desktop, so it probably wouldn't have physical audio controls.
    http://support.gateway.com/us/en/ema...1&modelId=1299

I can't find much info, but those speakers are on USB. Did the speakers come with the computer? I don't see any speaker drivers on the emachines support site.

If you disconnect the speakers, does the message go away? If there are no volume knobs, then there is probably some kind of keyboard combination for volume control.

I don't see any mention of usb speakers in the manual, but it's just a generic user guide. Not much help there.

Hmm. Trying to find more info about the speakers, but it's pretty sparse.

USB speaker drivers should be in the OS and you will need to use the OS volume controls.

Quote Originally Posted by MarrowBone View Post
    Tried to take a screen shot of it, could not do it.
    Can you take a photo of it using a camera - camera on a cell phone will do - and post it here?

Normally, the OS volume controls would work, but the only time I've seen volume controls overlay everything is like on a laptop with physical volume controls. Very strange to see this on a desktop.

Please post a photo as falcon2000 requested.

Also, the make and model number of you monitor might be useful.

ANSWERS TO ALL QUESTIONS

Yes, speakers came with the computer.
    There is a volume knob on one of the 2 speakers, & it works OK.
    I can’t tell about disconnecting the speakers; yesterday the icon wouldn’t go away at all!
    Today the icon is not appearing at all.
    I also have a volume control slider on bottom taskbar; it says “Mixer” at bottom.
    Speakers: the speaker with the volume knob has 2 wires connected to it; 1 of those wires connects to other speaker; connection at back of computer == wire splits with one round connector and one rectangular connector.
    Not sure what this means: “USB speaker drivers should be in the OS”
    Monitor: “emachines” – Model no. E181H
    I will take a photo when it appears again. (this is like when you have a bad toothache, make appt w/dentist, then toothache goes away.)

I really appreciate everyone’s help.

There is a volume knob on one of the 2 speakers, & it works OK.
    When you turn the knob, does the volume display "icon" on the screen appear/change?

Not sure what this means: “USB speaker drivers should be in the OS”
    That means that the drivers should already be included within Windows 7. Drivers = software for Windows to recognize the hardware

Speakers: the speaker with the volume knob has 2 wires connected to it; 1 of those wires connects to other speaker; connection at back of computer == wire splits with one round connector and one rectangular connector.
    The "rectangular" connector is USB.

According to the specs I found, assuming that they are correct, that monitor does have built-in speakers. It is possible that, for some reason, the monitor thought it needed to display an audio control of some sort. You might try using the setup button(s) on the monitor itself to dig through the available monitor-controlled settings to see if you can find anything that looks like the control you saw on the screen.

Ah, you are right. It DOES have speakers. The quick specs on the CNET site didn't list speakers. Good catch.

Thread Information