Copying Excel

Thread: Copying Excel

Copying Excel

What ho one and all,

Getting my knickers in s twist regarding copying some information within Excel.

I have a small, two worksheet spreadsheet, and wish to add a third worksheet. This third worksheet will have sheets one and two, copied into one worksheet and then I will alter it. Seems easy, but I guess I am doing something wrong.

If I highlight and Cnt+C the data in w/s one, move to w/s three and paste, all the information is copied but none of the formatting. Whilst there is not a lot of information, I really don't want to have to set column and row heights / widths individually.

Surely there is a way to copy from one to the other that includes format data. Paste Special is not doing it. I don't image it makes any difference but I am using Office 2000.

Thanks

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

Step 1:

Select Range (Rows & Columns), press Control-C to Copy.

Step 2:

Move to new sheet, select Paste Special, select Column widths.

Step 3:

Select cell on new sheet to begin pasting data, press Control-V to paste values.

Thanks very much. That achieves around 50%. It certainly is solving the column width issue but the row heights are all the default single line. Surely it is possible to just copy and paste with the formatting.

Can't believe that MS overlooked something this basic but may be I am wrong.

Rex

It's always the USER'S fault

When you go to paste - you can mouse over the various options and it should preview. Look for the option with the <-- --> arrows and try it.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

The default single line row height is what I and many other users prefer. However, you can always select the range and click on Format, Cells, and select Wrap from the appropriate tab.

Again, many thanks. Unfortunately, Office 2000 does not offer previews of what the Paste Special options.

I will play around to find the solution, so that the next time, I will have forgotten it. However, after spending too much time on this, I have the column widths correct so will fix the row heights individually. As I said, not a large spreadsheet but would be nice to know how it should be done.

Toodle pip

I don't know if Excel 2000 has a Paste Special option to fix the row heights, however, if you use the Format Cells option I mentioned, that should fix those. One alternative that is possible is to create a macro that will copy the sheet and preserve the existing row heights.

Excel 2000 does have the Paste Special... It's just a bit older style.

I almost forgot I had it installed in a VM with XP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thread Information