OT: Robocalls and Landline phones

Thread: OT: Robocalls and Landline phones

OT: Robocalls and Landline phones

For weeks now I've been getting auto robocalls, like on speed dial, that calls me every hour and states: If you are interested in a job.....Press 1...if you want to stop the calls, press 9.
    These calls now go into my answer machine, but they call 5:30am 9:30pm, on and on and I don't answer unless I know it's a friend or a business call.
    I am on the do not call registry. No luck. Keeps coming.
    I try to reverse dial the number. No luck. Keeps coming.
    Does anybody have a solution? Maybe I should change my phone number?

What you want to combat these calls is something like NoMoRobo.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

What you need is a device or service that sends the phone company's tones indicating that your number has been disconnected and is no longer in service to the Robo caller's hardware. It should then get flagged to no longer get calls. No guarantees it will work on every Robo call, but it should reduce the number you get substantially.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492079,00.asp

Thanks so much!!!!

Note that if you press "9" on those calls, or say anything, your number is flagged as "In Service" and you will continue to get the calls. Also, the number that shows up on your caller ID for robo calls is almost certainly fake. Caller IDs can easily be overridden with fake numbers by the robo callers.

I get them on my cell too, although nowhere near that often. They get my landline # from the phone directory, but how do they get my cell #? Only a few friends and my doctors have it. Never, never, never any place online.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I get them on the cell to. If I get a call and I do not know them, I refuse to answer. Let I will block them. Lucky I have a setting to do that.

House phone , I can go online and block numbers. Not many but it does help.

Robo callers use equipment know as "war dialers" that are programmed to call every possible number in a given number range. They have everyone's number.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    I get them on the cell to. If I get a call and I do not know them, I refuse to answer. Let I will block them. Lucky I have a setting to do that.

House phone , I can go online and block numbers. Not many but it does help.
    They keep changing their number. But I've turned off some of the phony computer techs by telling them I don't have a computer. (I have 4.)

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I've been using "Call Control" app on my Samsung cell phone for over two years. It's cut down on unwanted calls by more than 90%. Very inexpensive for a one time purchase to get full programming ability and no ads but even the free version works well and the ads are unobtrusive and it gives you a chance to see how it works before you buy it.

https://www.callcontrol.com/

EDIT- I see they now also have a unit for landlines. I've never used it and don't have a landline anymore in any case.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information