[RESOLVED] Win 7 doesn't see camera

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win 7 doesn't see camera

Resolved [RESOLVED] Win 7 doesn't see camera

Camera is Canon A620, computer in my sig.

I've been transferring photos to my computer with no problems, no special software, but starting last week, camera isn't detected.

--Win Explorer has an extra Removable Disk J, which has to be the
    camera, but when I click it, it tells me to put a disk in. All other disks
    are accounted for.
    --Computer>Management also shows Removable Disk 1(J) a "USB Mass Storage Device" with "no media."
    --I've bought a new USB-Mini cable ($15!)
    --I've plugged it in through rear and front USB slots.
    --I've tried it also on my a Vista machine, with both cables.
    --I just installed Canon Camera Window, software which is supposed to
    transfer the pix, but it says it doesn't detect my camera.

I've explored this on the web, but I don't see anything I haven't tried.

I was just thinking: can I go into Device Manager and point to a file somewhere in the system as a new driver?
    Last edited by foxy; September 13th, 2017 at 03:15 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Why don't you get a memory card reader instead? It would have probably been around the same price as the USB cable.

Does the camera show up in Device Manager? You could try removing it, and then allowing Windows to re-detect it.

If the camera is not detected on multiple computers, it may be a camera problem.

As a test, if you have a spare unused memory card for the camera, you could try putting it into the camera and formatting it, then connect the camera to the computer(s) and see what happens.

Because I've been using a cable all along, and because it was $5 cheaper. I can return it to MicroCenter if I thought the card reader would work. If the camera isn't seen on both computers, could it be something wrong in the camera?

Device Mger shows, besides HD,
    "Multiple Card Reader USB Device," which it is not, but that's the only possibility. Only other drive is DVD-ROM

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's possible that it's the camera if the problem is happening on multiple computers.

Are you sure your computer doesn't have a card reader already? Post the exact make/model.

It's possible that your printer has a memory card reader also. Do you have a printer connected or not?

Nothing on the printer. Brother mFC-J458DW
    It's only a year old and I never thought to look for a card reader. Multimedia is not a big priority here.

Computer HP p62020t with Win 7 Ultimate.
    Slot marked "SD-MS-xD", I put my card in, it fits! How would I access the photos? Disk J still says to insert a disc.

Plug-in USB readers available:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/camera-...d=abcat0404007
    Last edited by foxy; September 13th, 2017 at 04:03 PM.

It sure looks like the P62020T has a memory card reader.
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/product.../model/5155410

Before buying a card reader, I'd at least try the built-in one.

If the memory card fits into the slot in your computer, and you have it inserted, and you still cannot see any files, then you may have a memory card issue. Can you still see the photos when the card is in the camera? Have you re-booted the computer? Do you have another memory card to try?

Just rebooted. That's my old SD card, till I find the lost one. And yes, I can see the pix in the camera. While it's in the reader slot, would I expect to see them in Windows Explorer on Disk J? It's still there, but asking me for a disk.

I hate Win 7. I hate Win 7. I hate Win 7. I hate Win 7. I hate Win 7. I hate Win 7.
    I hate Win 7. I hate Win 7. I hate Win 7. I hate Win 7. I hate Win 7. I hate Win 7.
    I've had more trouble in 4 months of 7 than in 10 years of XP. Well, not more, but lots.
    Last edited by foxy; September 13th, 2017 at 09:58 PM.

I wouldn't blame Windows 7 for this one. My bet is on the SD card, since you can see the pics when it is in the camera and because it does not work on another computer.

I have attached my camera to (Olympus) my computers to transfer pics and never had any issues.

I would suggest acquiring another memory card, putting it in the camera, formatting it, take some test pics, and then see what happens when you either connect the camera to the PC or put the card in the PC's card reader.

If it were good in the reader, where would I see the pix?

Normally, you would see the same thing you see when the memory card is in the camera and the camera is connected to the PC - a folder, possibly with one or more subfolders, and then the picture image files.

When I insert my camera SD card, normally I get a pop up asking what I want to do. I select open in in folder view.
    As my camera makes a new folder for every 200 pictures. I like to see all the folders made.

If the pop up does not show up, then I open my computer and select the chip ICON that appears when ready.

OK. The memory card works in the Vista computer, the previously-owned one I'm planning to wipe and install Win 7. It shows up in MS Image Viewer in "Pictures."

This one (in my sig) is actually a refurb I won in my computer club's monthly raffle. The software is fresh but the case is previously-used, so it might not be perfect. The light by the SD slot is blinking, the CPU light is blinking, but I don't a chip icon or any folders. Mysterious Disk J is still there, but still asking for a disk.

My machines are just 10' apart. As long as one machine is working, I'll drop this topic.

Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by foxy; September 14th, 2017 at 11:12 AM.

Thread Information