My computer defaults to IE PDF and I want to default to another PDF

Thread: My computer defaults to IE PDF and I want to default to another PDF

Hybrid View

Internet Explorer PDF is faulty and I need a new PDF to work with. I tried download Adobe Reader DC and it won't open on my computer.
    I'm having all kinds of problems with Win10 and software programs. It's maddening. Is Mercury in retrograde, because I had issues with Godaddy too.
    Off topic.
    What PDF do you recommend that I download for Win10? Please don't send me to Adobe Reader DC. Thanks.

This actually sounds like multiple problems.

Internet Explorer PDF is faulty . . .
    What happens when you click on a .pdf link in Internet Explorer? Details would be most useful.

I tried download Adobe Reader DC and it won't open on my computer.
    What happened when you tried to install Adobe Reader DC? What error message(s), if any, did you get. Details would be most useful.

Free .pdf readers:

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-pdf-reader

Note: If Acrobat Reader DC would not install, there is no guarantee that any of these will either.

However, if Acrobat Reader DC did install, but did not fix your issue with Internet Explorer, that is a completely different issue that, while a pain to correct, can be done fairly easily if you know how.

Adobe won't open. Period. It installed, it wouldn't open.
    I just don't like IE at all.

So, you click on Start, All Programs, Adobe Reader DC, and Adobe Reader does not open? If you run Task Manager, do you see Adobe Reader in either the Applications or Processes tabs?

The .pdf link issue in IE is a separate issue. IE uses add-ons to open .pdf files. You either need the Adobe add-on or another add-on to open .pdf files in IE. If you open IE and click on Tools, Manage Add-Ons, and under the Show drop-down, select All Add-Ons, do you see any Adobe add-ons?

If you have a .pdf file saved on your computer (not a link to a .pdf on a web page), what happens when you double click on the .pdf file?

Are these new pdf files in the cloud? Foxit seems to be in the cloud. I'm looking for a desktop pdf. Maybe that's why I'm having problems because of the browser not able to access the pdf?
    Another problem: the ones I go to download want you to login to an account.
    I really need a desktop pdf. I am so tired of logging into accounts and creating passwords.
    I'm on Ebay site and see a list of PDFs that are for the desktop. Can someone tell which ones they think would work with Win10? Seems that since Adobe went to the cloud, everyone is on the cloud.

I'm on Ebay's site https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...tware&_sacat=0
    Last edited by Sal_gal; September 13th, 2017 at 03:29 PM.

I was able to download the free Foxit .pdf reader software without being asked to create an account or supply any credentials.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

Scroll down to the Foxit Reader Free Download button.

Thread Information