[RESOLVED] Secure Connection Failed

Thread: [RESOLVED] Secure Connection Failed

Resolved [RESOLVED] Secure Connection Failed

I'm not understanding what's happening. I'm getting the above reaction to some, and only some, websites. Other, most, sites offer no problem.

Some examples of sites I cannot reach:
    Family Tree DNA Testing
    Wells Fargo Bank

That is on my desktop, an older Dell running FireFox 54.0.1 and Windows 7. When I go to those same sites on the laptop, a more recent Dell running Windows 8 and also FF 54.0.1, I have no such connection problem.

What am I missing?

There are several possible causes for the error, including certificate issues, or an incorrect TLS setting.

Possibly useful links:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-error-message

Check the ghacks link from this search:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1199&bih=721

This, BTW, is a new problem. I first noticed a week or so ago. Prior to that I had no problem getting to Wells Fargo.

This is getting worse. This morning I was unable to connect to any website. I was able to download email, but when I went to FireFox I was greeted with, "The Proxy Server is refusing connections." When I tried IE, "The Proxy Server isn"t responding." That was on the desktop. The laptop has no problem.

Are you even using a proxie?
    Disable that if you are not.

I'm a bit unclear what you are saying. Are you saying to disable any and all proxy servers?

FireFox is set to "use system proxy settings." Should I change that to "No Proxy"? Would that change effect IE as well? I almost never use IE, though I am here simply for testing purposes.

FireFox is set to "use system proxy settings." Should I change that to "No Proxy"? Would that change effect IE as well? I almost never use IE, though I am here simply for testing purposes.
    It's the opposite. FF will take the proxy settings used by IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Are you even using a proxie?
    Disable that if you are not.
    Good call. For some reason FF was set to use the system proxy settings when in fact those setting were non-existent. I have no idea why FF decided to use settings which had never been set, but it really screwed up things along the way. I now have FF set to "No Proxy", and am able to use FF again. I'll test IE, though I very rarely use it.

Thank you for your help, once again.

IE has a bad habit of haveing the proxie activate and once activated FF picked it up.
    One of the reasons I quit using IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    IE has a bad habit of haveing the proxie activate and once activated FF picked it up.
    One of the reasons I quit using IE.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? The problem is continuing on a random basis. I now know to recognize it, but find it annoying.

I do not use IE, and when I correct the setting on FireFox the problem is cured, for a while. I do not need to enter IE. This also effects my wife's ability to watch Netflix, which she finds exceedingly annoying.

What can be done to more permanently fix this? Is it purely in the software, or maybe in my computer, modem, or router?

IE and Edge I refuse to use. Even unpinned all of their shortcuts. So they would not be used by accident.
    I have had a couple updates cause that to happen.

If you are using Windows 7 Pro, you can prevent the proxy settings from being changed.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/preve...ers-44819.html

https://www.google.com/search?source...k1.W9I-lhQ8ysk

However, if the settings are being changed, something has to be changing them. I would be scanning for malware.

Thread Information