Want to (re)install Win7 Pro, lost disk, can I use a different DVD but use my key?

Thread: Want to (re)install Win7 Pro, lost disk, can I use a different DVD but use my key?

Want to (re)install Win7 Pro, lost disk, can I use a different DVD but use my key?

Hi all,

I just have a quick question about (re)installing Windows 7 Professional. I tried to obtain info by googling this, but nothing I found addressed my exact question, so I'll put it in my own words the best I can (with 'preface info'):

• I want to reinstall Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) on one of my PCs. I have Linux Mint on it (I overwrote the C: drive to install it), but I now have a 2nd PC with Linux Ubuntu, so I would like to have Win 7 Pro back on my older machine.

*** NOTE: Prior to installing Mint, I had upgraded Win 7 Pro to Win10. For any who might be wondering, I DO NOT WANT Win10 again, and certainly not Win8. I understand the issue of support completely disappearing for Win 7 in 2020.

• I cannot find my original Windows 7 Pro installation disk (OEM version).
    • The PC onto which I want to (re)install it is the same PC on which it was previously installed.
    • Is it possible to (re)install Win7 Pro using someone else's DVD IF I use the key from the OEM package I purchased? (This is assuming they have moved on to Win10 and don't care about Win7 anymore).

Thanks,
    Dave G.

If you don't have the disc, you could try downloading the iso or creating a bootable flash drive:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

Thanks, Midknyte . . . I was finally able to find the disc, and I proceeded to install Win7, but ran into some snags. The install went just fine, all the way through until what I believe is the final restart. It then told me that

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert the Windows installation disc and restart your computer. (This seems to ignore the fact that the installation disc is still in the DVD drive tray).
    2. Choose your language settings, then click NEXT.
    3. Click REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER."

Performing #3 above did not help; it is still unable to perform the final Restart. I've gone through the full installation process again, selected the proper partition, and the final Restart still fails.

At one point after the error message, it displays a listing of OS's to choose from with which to restart. In my case, it displays 2 different instances of Win 7. At some point a while back, I had Win 7 installed on a different HDD. Then, prior to wiping drive C: and installing Mint, I had relegated that HDD with Win 7 to NON-boot status, and installed Win 7 on a new WD raptor drive. I'm not sure if an older, existing install of Win7 (on a totally different HDD) would interfere or not with a new installation on the boot drive.
    Last edited by star-gazer777; September 10th, 2017 at 09:07 PM.

I'd only have the boot drive connected. That also prevents you from accidentally formatting the wrong drive.

Thread Information