What's the best to do regarding a domain name?

Thread: What's the best to do regarding a domain name?

Red face What's the best to do regarding a domain name?

Hi all,
    I have a domain name bought through Godaddy, had it for decades it seems. So now I'm having a helluva time getting / logging into my account because of Godaddy's authentication requirements. I sent them picture ID and everything, still can't get in. When I call them, they ask a lot of "authentication" questions....I just hung up.

The domain name ends in 30 days. I have some web pages/sites at wix.com and I want the domain name to reside at wix, since I don't have any activity with godaddy. Should I,
    1) wait for the domain name to expire at GD, and then purchase it at wix?
    2) Change the name now and buy the domain name at wix? And just wait for the GD name to expire?

The name is now, xxxxxxx.biz and I can change it to xxxxxbiz.com.
    What's my best option?
    OBTW, the domain name is printed on business cards.

If you wait for the domain name registration to expire, you may find that a bot has registered it before you can register it with Wix. I would try to transfer it from GoDaddy to Wix before it expires. They may be a pain to deal with, but you will retain the name ownership and you'll be glad when you are rid of GoDaddy. Let us know specifics if GoDaddy is still giving you trouble - we may be able to offer some suggestions for dealing with them.

I just talked to Go Daddy. They asked for my cc# to verify that I was me. The only way they could help w/ authenticating was to send me another link (the 2nd one). When I told the person that I mailed in my DMV ID as proof, she said they didn't accept mail-ins.

I'm done with Godaddy and the domain name. I'll just get a new one.

SECURITY.... Just imagine them giving access to your domain name to your worst enemy.

My company went through a similar thing... The boss lady had set up everything five years earlier...but she died from cancer. We had to send a copy of her death certificate before they would give us the time of day.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

You may be able to contact the new registrar and have them get the name transferred to themselves in your behalf from GoDaddy on a sort of "hostile takeover" basis. I don't recall the particular process, and it may be that it no longer exists, but I went through it in behalf of a client some years ago. He and his partner had split and his partner was refusing to cooperate in transferring control of the domain name. I used my registrar and got it taken from the then current registrar.

Thread Information