[RESOLVED] Most foolproof way to wipe drives

Thread: [RESOLVED] Most foolproof way to wipe drives

Resolved [RESOLVED] Most foolproof way to wipe drives

It's so long since I've done this. What's the easiest way? I need to wipe 2 drives to use as backups, neither of which is the one I'm working from. Does slave-master still apply in SATA?

Also need to completely wipe another Vista HD already in a puter in preparation for clean-installing Win 7 on it. Will the Win 7 DVD wipe it before installation?
    Last edited by foxy; September 9th, 2017 at 10:24 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

You can format the boot drive during Windows installation. If you are not concerned about any malware leftovers, the link below has info. Make sure you have backups of any needed files on them, as well as any re-installation files or info for Windows r application software and drivers.

http://www.wikihow.com/Format-the-C-...With-Windows-7

There is no Master/Slave with SATA drives. You can just format them also.

If you really want to wipe them due to sensitive files or data, or malware remnants, you can use DBAN or Eraser. Just make sure to select the CORRECT drive to use these utilities on, as once they are done there is no hope of recovering anything on the drive that they have erased.

DBAN, using the default setting, overwrites everything 3 times.
    I use the iso to make a bootable cd or thumbdrive as needed.
    Boot to it and make darn sure the drive I want to wipe, is the only one attached to the computer.

And should I use D-Ban on the 2 drives I'm readying for backups? Does it also install the format?

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, DBAN simply overwries everything of the drive. You will need to partiton it and format it afterward.

Or you can simply re-formate the drives from Widows. I have done that too.

Thanks, guys. :-)

Thread Information