New desktop purchase...

Thread: New desktop purchase...

New desktop purchase...

If not correct forum, please move. I need to replace one of my computers. I run a lot of processes at one time and do occasional streaming. Mostly browsing in several windows and Money and Office programs. No gaming and no photo editing, etc. However, I do want a pretty fast computer. I'm a little confused on processor vs ghz. I'm seeing some i3 desktops with 4+ghz and and then an i7 with 3.6 ghz. I tried to find a explanation, but everything is pre-2013! So I'd like suggested specs for a fast computer than can handle a lot of processes at once. Thanks!

For the types of applications and processes you have listed, a computer with enough memory will definitely help the speed. With Windows 10, I would consider 8 GB of memory a minimum, and 16 GB would be better. Check the maximum memory capacity on any system you are looking at to make sure you are not stuck with 4 GB maximum memory. Even if the system only ships with a certain amount of memory, you can always add more if the capacity is there.

What sort of price range are you looking at?

Well that's the deal. I'm trying to get by with the least inexpensive pc, but still have decent speed. I saw Office Depot had three HP's for sale this week. From $380 - $700. I can do the $700, but I just thought that was more than I really needed. It's i7, 12 gb memory (not expandable), and 3.6 ghz maximum turbo speed. Then I saw a Lenovo® IdeaCentre 510A Desktop PC, AMD A12, 12GB Memory with a 3.8 ghz processor speed for $480. And somewhere, the 4.2 ghz on an i3, but can't find it right now. That's when I started looking for info and asking here. Thanks for the response!

Are you looking for a laptop or a desktop system, or does it matter?

How much storage space for data files do you think you might need?

I'm looking for a desktop--tower only. I don't need much storage--500gb would be enough, but most come with 1tb. I just want it to be pretty fast for the processes that I do. Thanks!

Some links to check out are below. Also check sale ads for any Labor Day deals. Specs for those should be available online.

https://www.lifewire.com/best-700-10...top-pcs-833019

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-...rs/sc/desktops

Just for you information, I use a SSD as the boot drive and as read and write is faster n them, I find that a great improvement.
    I use the hdd that came installed, as storage.

This gives me some direction. I've decided to hold off on a new pc. My old one PROBABLY just needs a power supply, so I ordered an inexpensive one to keep it going a while longer. I will save the link for the pcs's, though. Thanks for the responses!

Thread Information