PC not awakening properly, also shutting down spontaneously

Thread: PC not awakening properly, also shutting down spontaneously

PC not awakening properly, also shutting down spontaneously

Primary issue (more important):

The past few days, I’ve had issues where I could not awaken my PC by clicking my mouse or using the keyboard. There were a couple of times where the power light on the monitor was blinking while the PC power was ON (fan spinning etc.), but I just could not wake the PC from its coma.

This AM, the PC was off; I had done one of those cold shutdowns last night, and left the PC off until this AM. So, I hit the power button on the PC, the fan began spinning, and it seemed to be booting up normally. However, at the opening screen where the background picture comes up, the PC simply shut off – totally. This time, I could not start it just by hitting the power button on the PC’s case; I had to turn off the power supply switch and then back on again, then hit the main power button on the PC case.

I have no idea what’s going on; among other things, I can say that I have NOT done anything whatsoever with power settings on the PC. These things have just begun happening suddenly and out of the blue.

I have done scans with BitDefender AV, Malwarebytes and AdAware, and no "bugs" have shown up.

Secondary issue: (including this as it might be related):

Recently I’ve had problems with my mouse pointer freezing. However, this time, the mouse pointer didn’t just freeze; it totally vanished! (in the middle of my first attempt at this email). And of course, I had to do a hard shutdown. It froze again while I was making the first attempt to type this entry on VirtualDr. Nothing brings the mouse pointer back into action; I can't even go to another application, and I cannot get into Task Manager to close whatever program inside of which the mouse pointer froze.

Any thoughts/ideas/instruction would be greatly appreciated, this is nuts.

Sincerely,
    David G.

The first thing I would suspect is the power supply. Do you have a spare you can swap out? Second would be the motherboard. If you're having keyboard issues, that could be signs of a motherboard problem.

What are the make/model of the PSU and motherboard? If it's an OEM machine (Dell, HP, etc), then give us the make/model of the computer.

I wouldn't bother with Adaware. Malwarebytes is a much better product.

Hi Midknyte,

The PC is a home-built, not OEM. The MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5; the PSU is a Corsair CX750M. It would be (more) frustrating if it's all or part of the problem, as it is not that old, and I bought it to replace a bad PSU. It was also an upgrade from 500W to 750W.

I'm not sure there's a 'keyboard issue,' just that neither it nor the mouse can get the PC to come out of "sleep" or whatever it is.

Do you have the computer plugged into a UPS or just a regular surge protector?

Did the old PSU just die because it was old, or was there a surge?

Unfortunately, it sounds like a hardware issue, so you'd need to swap parts. If the PSU isn't that old, you might be able to get it replaced under warranty.

Thread Information