[RESOLVED] Formatting a hard drive on a Lenovo 3000

Thread: [RESOLVED] Formatting a hard drive on a Lenovo 3000

Resolved [RESOLVED] Formatting a hard drive on a Lenovo 3000

Lenovo 3000
    windows 7

I have formatted hard drives on a desktop many times but never in a laptop. How is that done? Do I need to get a new hard drive? Need more info let me know.

Thanks.

The procedure is the same for laptops.

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I guess I was always formatting with adding a hard drive I wanted to format to an existing computer and doing it that way. So I will make a UBCD CD and learn something new.

If there is only one drive in your Lenovo 3000, and you are wanting to re-install the original Windows 7, you will need some sort of recovery or installation media to accomplish this.

What are you trying to do exactly? If you are reinstalling the OS, you can reformat the drive during installation. Again, this is the same thing you'd do for a desktop.

I was given this laptop and it takes a long time for some things to load. Also some of the features don't work like "windows update" and other programs. Some work just fine and others don't. I have Windows seven ultimate 32 and 64 programs. So I would like to install Windows seven 64 bit. The way I would format a hard drive was to put the hard drive I wanted to format in a computer that had a hard drive then format it. This laptop only has one hard drive so I can't do that. I tried the F11 thing and it didn't work. I tried F12 and that didn't work. I tried using the Windows seven program disk and that didn't work. I haven't made a UBCD CD yet since I just got home.

Pay close attention steps 6, 7 and 8. I delete the partition, then make it again. Yes the stuff on the partition is gone.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ndows-7-a.html

I would try the Lenovo factory restore first, as Train mentioned in post #7. That would also install all the drivers. Otherwise, you'd need to search the Lenovo support site and download them BEFORE you reformat the drive.

The way I would format a hard drive was to put the hard drive I wanted to format in a computer that had a hard drive then format it.
    I don't see why you'd need to do that. You can format the drive during the Windows setup.

Pressing F10 should get you to the boot menu when starting up the computer. You should then be able to select an option to boot from the CD/DVD drive.

Possibly useful link:

https://restore.solutions/en/ibmlenovo3000n1000768/

Note: That computer can take a maximum of 2 GB of RAM. If it doesn't already have 2 GB, you may want to consider upgrading to speed it up.

Yahoo! I tried many of your suggestions and the computer would freeze before completion of the tasks. I finally got a flash drive to load all the drivers. They would start loading and then stop. But each time the progress bar went a little further until the time it finished. Also, the Windows 7 installation disk would only go so far and then stop. It finally said I had an older version of Windows 7. So I did a clean install of my older version and it seems to be working. I did get SP1.

So it is a Pentium duel core T4200 @ 2.00 GHz
    RAM 4 GB
    64 bit

Thank you very much for all the help!

Thread Information