Overheating issue

Thread: Overheating issue

Overheating issue

My machine shut down because one of the fans went bad. I replaced the induction fan and the two extractor fans, I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the heat sink.

Everything runs fine until it gets to 'Start Windows Normally' - then it shuts down again as if the same problem is still there.

On one occasion I saw the error 'CPU Overheat' just before it shut down. So I think the problem has been fixed but the machine is still in the error mode.

Is there anything I can reset?

Thanks - rev

What are you system specs? MB, CPU, heatsink/fan

I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the heat sink.
    Double-check that you mounted the heatsink properly.

Did you boot into the BIOS and look at the temps there? You might even need to reset to the default settings.

Thermal paste is to thick or has a air pocket.

>Double-check that you mounted the heatsink properly.
    Checked, it seems fine.

>Did you boot into the BIOS and look at the temps there? You might even need to reset to the default settings.
    No but will check. I have no BIOS customizations so I'll try resetting.

>Thermal paste is to thick or has a air pocket.
    Definitely not too thick. If it was an air pocket, how would the machine know that before it's booted?

Is ther anything else that can shut the machine down? Power supply?

What are your system specs? It would help if we knew what we were dealing with.

I doubt it would be the PSU, but you could check that the PSU fans are working.

In the past, cpu were fried in about a 1/4 of a second and then thermal shutdown was added.

We have had folks post with your subject that had gobbed the paste on,or had not been careful and when the hsf was removed, they found spots with no paste. So the thermal shut down had saved their cpu.

There are/will be, spots with no paste. Don't see how you can ensure there wouldn't be and I've seen a dozen youtube movies and done the procedure before without covering the whole chip. Also, the machine has only been on for 30 seconds so it couldn't be shutting down due to overheating.

Specs: Asus P6T (standard), Intel Core i7 (i975?) 3.44, 12 RAM

There are/will be, spots with no paste. Don't see how you can ensure there wouldn't be and I've seen a dozen youtube movies and done the procedure before without covering the whole chip.
    The main thing is to cover the center of the CPU heat spreader. It doesn't have to be edge-to-edge, but there shouldn't be any gaps in the middle. What thermal paste are you using?

If you're using the stock Intel heatsink, those can be tricky to click into place. Gotta make sure it's absolutely level on top of the CPU.

Also, the machine has only been on for 30 seconds so it couldn't be shutting down due to overheating.
    It's totally possible that it shuts down in 30 secs. That's part of the thermal protection.

Arctic silver instructions, the best I have ever found.
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_ap...n_method.html#

OK, i'll take it out and do it again and post back.

Took out the processor again (my paste was perfect) redid it but the problem remains, it shut's down before it starts to load Windows. I've cleaned everything, got new paste, and replaced three fans. It cannot be overheating, I've done this procedure successfully before and it lasted two years. I'm convinced I've done everything correctly this time too.

What are the other causes of automatic shutdown?

What temps are you seeing in the BIOS? Also check the CPU and Chassis fan speeds.

Did you already do a BIOS reset? Check that the Ai Tweaker settings are on Auto.

I can't believe you guys were right! The heat sync wasn't seated properly. Three of those stupid posts were in correctly so the assembly looked and felt firmly seated - but it wasn't. I would have sworn on my granny's rotting bones...

As you found out, does not take much to throw things for a loop.

Thanks for posting the answer to the problem.!

Thread Information