Gigabit switch amber light (100 mbps only) WHY

Thread: Gigabit switch amber light (100 mbps only) WHY

Hybrid View

Question Gigabit switch amber light (100 mbps only) WHY

I have a Linksys router connected to my ISP modem, I needed a better connection, so I run a couple cables and purchased a gigabit switch to hardwire my connections.
    Problem is the two ports on my switch are amber (according to manual, they are connecting at 100 mbps only) and the speed on the hardwired connections are actually slower than my wifi!

How can I improve that? is there any configuration I should change on my router or PC that I am connecting?
    Thanks a lot for any help.
    Luiz

Post the make and model of the Modem and the Router. Can we assume that you have the router plugged into the modem via one of the modem's Ethernet ports, and that your switch is also using one of those Ethernet ports on the modem?

Thank you,

Linksys EA6900 V1.1
    Modem is the ARRIS TM1602 DOSIS for Optimum ISP

The ARRIS is connected via coaxial cable from the ISP and there is only one LAN port, where it is connected to my LINKSYS.

Thanks a lot again.
    Luiz

So your gigabit switch is connected to the Linksys then. Since both the Linksys and the Arris have gigabit capable Ethernet ports, that leaves the Ethernet cables as the possible cause. Where did you obtain these? Are they Cat 5e rated or better?

Are they Cat 5e rated or better?
    Like jdc2000 said, that is the probable cause. The cable should have markings on it like "CAT.5e"

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Like jdc2000 said, that is the probable cause. The cable should have markings on it like "CAT.5e"
    I am using CAT.5e, both cables are about 35 feet long, would that be the issue (length of cable)?

Thanks
    brazeagle

both cables are about 35 feet long
    Max length is 100m. 35ft is only about 10m.

Arris modem > Linksys router > gigabit switch > clients

The Linksys EA6900 already has gigabit ports, so I'm not sure why you needed another switch. What is the make/model of the switch?
    Which lights are orange? If the ports are connected to client computers, then you'd need to verify they have gigabit ethernet ports and are using CAT5e cables.

The cables should work if wired properly up to 300 feet. You can check the wiring color patterns on the ends to verify that they are wired correctly. There are only 2 approved wiring patterns, as shown at the link below. Any other wiring sequence for the RJ-45 connectors will cause problems. I assume that you checked the cable from the Arris modem to the Linksys router also.

http://www.belden.com/images/rj45-wiring-schemes.png

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    The cables should work if wired properly up to 300 feet. You can check the wiring color patterns on the ends to verify that they are wired correctly. There are only 2 approved wiring patterns, as shown at the link below. Any other wiring sequence for the RJ-45 connectors will cause problems. I assume that you checked the cable from the Arris modem to the Linksys router also.

http://www.belden.com/images/rj45-wiring-schemes.png
    Thanks,
    I will look into the wiring and after will change my trendNet gigabit Green switch for a different one to see if that can be eliminated from the possible cause.

Thank you again,
    Regards
    brazeagle

Thread Information