destroying HDs

Thread: destroying HDs

destroying HDs

I'm bringing my 2 XP puters to Staples for recycling. Will I get the desired result from hammering a nail through each HD instead of wiping?

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Busting the hdds up with a hammer is MOST desirable. I have a 4 pound hammer I use just for that.

So salvage there.

Thanks. Sledge hammer.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wear safety glasses.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I like to take them apart and pull out the magnets.

I've decided to keep one of the HD as an extra. Problem is, I've never been able to figure out how to get it out. I'm by no means unmechanical, as I own a home repair business. I bought it as a refurb, a huge case that holds up to 6 drives in some kind of structure that's riveted together. I see no screws on the sides of the HD, and that yellow lever does nothing.

Attachment 14347

Attachment 14349

What about the green item with the arrow in the middle of the second picture? Or, the green tab(s) on protruding from the cage next to the hard drive? It is hard to tell since the photos don't have the best focus. Is there a make and model for that case or computer?

Looks like you would just lift up the green tab on the left side of the HD and slide it out.

Yes, first pic, green lever on left side. Other 2 levers do nothing. Forgot to say HP 7700 Convertible Minitower. There was never anything mini about it, heavy as heck. Thanks, guys.

So did you get the drive out or not? Pretty sure you'd just lift the green tab on the left side, while sliding the HD out. Looks like you have to lift the drive up a bit as you're sliding it out (note the groove on the right side of the HD cage)

Yes, with that tab.

Thread Information