How can I speed up my computer when on the internet?

Thread: How can I speed up my computer when on the internet?

How can I speed up my computer when on the internet?

System config:
    HP S5-1204 (bought about 2011)
    Phys memory 4.0
    Virtual mem 6.96/ available 3.20
    Win 10 O/S

Would you know if I up the physical memory from 4 to 8 if it would help with making my computer faster? I'm on the internet 24/7 using Chrome & Opera browsers and I just find going from one screen to another, navigating, etc. is extremely slowwwww. Sometimes the sites/screens just stall and I have to reboot.
    Would more memory help?

Are you using a 64-bit version of Windows 10? If so, 8 GB of RAM might help some. However, many web pages and/or browsers are set up to refresh every time the browser page/tab gets focus, or, in some cases, every 60 to 90 seconds, so that may be the main source of your speed issue. It depends on what browser and what web sites you are using. Also, the speed of your internet connection and the speed of any intermediate connections between your computer and the server where the web page you are looking at is hosted must be factored in.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Are you using a 64-bit version of Windows 10? If so, 8 GB of RAM might help some. However, many web pages and/or browsers are set up to refresh every time the browser page/tab gets focus, or, in some cases, every 60 to 90 seconds, so that may be the main source of your speed issue. It depends on what browser and what web sites you are using. Also, the speed of your internet connection and the speed of any intermediate connections between your computer and the server where the web page you are looking at is hosted must be factored in.
    Yes, 64 bit.
    I think it's the browser that's slow, navigating and moving from screen to screen; sometimes the screen stalls.

A memory upgrade would be relatively inexpensive, so you could try that to see what performance improvement you get.

Maximum Memory:16GB
    Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compat...imline-s5-1204
    Have get 2 of the 4 GB sticks.

Thread Information