Autoexec.bat and Config.sys - DOS Loop Preventing Action?

Thread: Autoexec.bat and Config.sys - DOS Loop Preventing Action?

Smile Autoexec.bat and Config.sys - DOS Loop Preventing Action?

Hello everyone,

I recently faced the "DOS Loop" issue due to a DOS Game that apparently added new lines to both Autoexec.bat and Config.Sys (Windows 98 SE).

I have solved it thanks to this very helpful thread: http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...os-ReBoot-Loop!

Now my question:

Is there a way to prevent DOS Games or otherwise from editing those files again so I can prevent this "DOS Loop" from happening?

Kind of like applying a "read only" order to both?

My knowledge is very limited but I'm confident that with clear instructions from someone I could do it.

Thank you so much for the solution to the Loop, and for whatever suggestions you can come up with. Keep up the excellent work, much appreciated. http://discussions.virtualdr.com/images/icons/icon7.png

- André

Make a boot floppy with a copy of your good Autoexec.bat on it and replace the damage one.
    Or use the boot floppy and edit the damaged one from DOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Make a boot floppy with a copy of your good Autoexec.bat on it and replace the damage one.
    Or use the boot floppy and edit the damaged one from DOS.
    Hello, thanks for the reply!

Is there any way through Windows or DOS to just prevent the issue from ocurring in the first place without using floppy disks? Floppy's are not an option with that computer...

Sorry if I misunderstood, what you said sounds to me like a solution for the DOS Loop itself, which is already solved. What I am looking for is just to stop the DOS Loop from even happening at all again.

Never heard of anyway to stop it from happening. Hate to say that too.

EDIT: Maybe you can change the permissions to read only That should stop any writing to the file.

Yes, it is a solution. Relative fast one, if the floppy is all ready to go.

Thread Information