[RESOLVED] Trouble with maintaining wireless network.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Trouble with maintaining wireless network.

Resolved [RESOLVED] Trouble with maintaining wireless network.

We have a Netgear CG3000D cable modem/wireless router, which we have had for some years, and use Cox internet. The problem is that altogether too often the wireless internet fails while the cable-connected internet is still working fine. Turning the Netgear off and back on cures the problem, but much too soon it happens again. We're talking five or six times a week. As far as I know we have no power problems; at least nothing else shows any signs of such issues.

Maybe related, or maybe not, is that streaming from Amazon Prime on a Blue-Ray is erratic. Sometimes it works fine, other times it freezes frequently; this when the wifi seems to be working properly on the iPad and laptop computer.

The computer that is connected via cat5 cable is 100% with no connection problems at any time.

Cox tech support, which I have usually found to be well qualified and useful, doesn't have much to offer other than "turn the router off and then back on" which, of course, I have done until my button pushing finger is about to fall off, and I'm calling them because I'm tired of doing that. I bought the Netgear from Cox.

I have used this thing long enough that buying a new one doesn't seem unreasonable, and I know that doing so will certainly not bankrupt us, but I don't want to do that if I don't need to. If that is the best advice, though, what would be the best unit for Cox internet and both wired and wireless service?

The first thing I would try if you have not already done so is to purchase a UPS and make sure that the Netgear modem/router is plugged into that. Power glitches, even ones that are too short for you to notice, can create just the sort of issues you are experiencing. If this does not correct the problem, the next option would be to purchase a newer wireless router. You could still use the modem portion of your old Netgear unit and add a newer wireless router that has the latest specs.

I will do that. Cost is sufficiently low that even if I am adding suspenders to belted pants...

Meanwhile, I tried Cox support one more time and the tech said that modem was showing signs of age with several timeouts in a short period and something about "red signals." She checked record and said I bought it in Feb of 2012, so it is at the old end of the average lifespan. So, I think I will put the UPS on a new modem/router.

I will leave this unresolved in case of suggestions for what to get. This device is all-in-one, with coax cable input and ethernet ports, so I think I need to buy a new cable modem as well as router. (?) (Would a wireless router sans modem be that much cheaper?)

Actually, the best wireless routers may well be more expensive. However, I usually like to get separate modem and router units. The main reason for this is that specs for them change all the time. The cable modem you have now is a DOCSIS 3.0 unit. At some point, Cox and other cable providers will switch to DOCSIS 4, which will make your modem obsolete. Your current Netgear also has 802.11n for the wireless side. 802.11ac and 802.11ad are more current specs. When one spec changes, you have change the combo modem/router unit even if the other spec is still current. I assume that you are purchasing your hardware rather then renting it from Cox.

If has significantly longer lifetime or provides measurably better service then I don't mind a somewhat higher price, but I'm not a person who has to have the best merely for the sake of having the best.

I think I do need both, since the Cox technician saw glitches on the cable modem, and it is the wireless that is giving me problems. Separate units makes sense, and there is no downside that I can see. Is there backward compatibility? If I get a DOCSIS 4 Cable modem would it work on Cox at this point? If I get 802.11ad wireless router will it work with the laptop, iPads and BluRay that I presently use wirelessly?

I wouldn't bother looking at 802.11ad just yet. There are very few routers available, plus you'd need 802.11ad adapters to take advantage of it anyway. I'd look at 802.11ac 1750 or higher. It's backwards compatible with N and G devices.

AFAIK, there are no DOCSIS 4 modems out there. If anything, they would be DOCSIS 3.1, and they should work fine on older networks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

As far as a new cable modem goes, you will need to get a unit that is on Cox's list of compatible and supported units.

Wireless routers are generally backwards compatible with previous specs, so they should work with your existing equipment, but you should check the specs of any units you are considering to be sure.

You may want to check the user reviews on Newegg.com or Amazon for any models you are considering.

One final thing to consider: Heat is the enemy of modems/routers. I like to get units that have adequate ventilation slots in the case and/or onboard cooling fans. If the unit does not have a fan and the case gets warm to the touch, I have been know to place them on laptop cooling stands with fans or otherwise place them in cool areas with good air circulation.

Okay, checking reviews and you guys have given me good direction to proceed with. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information