[RESOLVED] Router and Second Laptop

Thread: [RESOLVED] Router and Second Laptop

Resolved [RESOLVED] Router and Second Laptop

Installed a new modem and Netgear router a few days ago. Now my second computer (Lenovo Windows 10) will not connect to certain web sites.

Get a lot of "the connection was reset".
    I'm using Firefox and uninstalled it, then put it back in.

I can't connect the Lenovo directly to the router and try to reset it because it doesn't have an Ethernet port.

The Gateway numbers on both laptops are the same, but the IP address is one digit different and I assume that's correct.

The other laptop is a Toshiba and I can connect that one with an ethernet cable. That one is getting to sites ok.

If I manage to get to the Netgear site (with the Lenovo) it says "You are not connected to your router WIFI network". Yet I'm still on line.

I don't want to have to reset the modem as that causes the phone to go out also.

Could somebody give me a clue about where the problem is?

Thank you.
    Smokyieus

Looks like your modem got hit with a brown out to me.

I had to power cycle those telephone type modems to get them to work right. Or call and have them go it from on line.

Had my clients put the router and modem only on a UPS [uninterruptible power supply] to stop that from happening.

Post the make and model of the modem and the Netgear router model. If the modem is really a modem/router with wireless, the Lenovo may be connecting to that instead of the Netgear. Also, use "ipconfig /all" at a Command Prompt to see what the DNS Servers are on each computer, as well as the Gateway. That should provide some clues.

Code:
    ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt
    The above command will create an ipcoinfig.txt file that you can open with Notepad and post the contents of here.

Modem is DOCSIS 3 model DPC3216 - Charter issued it.
    Netgear Router is Model RG120 - just bought that

Toshiba & Lenovo both have Gateway of 192.168.1.1 and DNS is same for both 192.168.1.1
    Toshiba IPvAddress is 192.1681.3 (preferred)
    Lenovo is 192.168.1.2 (preferred)

Sorry, I wasn't able to get that into notepad like you suggested.

When I am on the Toshiba and go to the "Netgear Genie" I get a message that "information doesn't match what is saved on the router". If I try that on the Lenovo it just says I am not connected to my router WIFI network.

We did have a 10 second power outage yesterday. However, this was not working right even before that.

Thanks for your time.
    Smokyieus

That modem is a modem and telephone interface only - no wireless. It is also locked down so there are no settings you can even access let alone change.

For starters, you could try changing your DNS Servers to Google's just to see what happens:

I would also recommend putting the modem and Netgear router on a UPS. That way power glitches won't mess them up once everything is working. Also, for laptops without an Ethernet connection, I recommend getting an inexpensive USB to Ethernet adapter for times like this when you might when you need one.

The message on the Lenovo indicates that it is not connected to the Netgear wireless, so that is the first thing to fix.

What happened when you tried the "ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt" command? Do a search for the ipconfig.txt file.

Reset the router and changed the password and as of right now they are both connecting.

Charter can send a tech out in six days so might have them double check it.

Thanks very much for your advice.
    Smokyieus

Thread Information