[RESOLVED] Continuous BIOS loop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Continuous BIOS loop

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back

Resolved [RESOLVED] Continuous BIOS loop

Have oldest brother's computer here. Gigabyte motherboard, Micro ATX Motherboard GA-78LMT-USB3. In continuous BIOS loop. Pulled cmos battery, reinstalled, no change.
    This motherboard was sent back to Gigabtye under warranty and returned to me less than a year ago. Has worked fine until three days ago.

Reading online says flash the to newest BIOS. Is that what you would recommend or should I return it to Gigabtye as it's still under warranty.

More details on exactly what happens when you try to boot might be helpful. Also potentially helpful would be info on any recent changes (software, hardware) that might have occurred just before this started.

Can you get into the BIOS setup?

Possibly useful links:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33...based-newbuild

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...cess-bios.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...i-listing.html

If I had more information I would have provided it. Computer boots, reboots, and continues to reboot. Don't know any thing other than what I've said except his girlfriend who uses the computer says this started after they came home from the store and computer was shut off. When she tried to restart it, this happened.
    No new hardware, no new software that I'm aware of.

I have access to the BIOS setup.

Links two and three not helpful. Will run memtest from UBCD later. After I have some lunch.

Return it.
    Google shows that is a problem for that mobo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=GA-7...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Since it was working previously and booting into Windows, then without further information the following are possible:

If it is not getting through the BIOS part of the boot, or shuts down before attempting to load Windows, then it is likely a hardware problem. This could be failed memory, a failed memory controller, bad video card or other PCIe / PCI card, etc. If it is not memory or other hardware, and the board is under warranty, then an RMA would be the way to go.

If it is getting past the BIOS part of the boot sequence and is attempting to load Windows, and a memory test passes, then a hard drive test and/or a Windows re-install might be in order.

Thanks Train. I'll contact Gigabyte this afternoon.

jdc, I gave you the info on what it is doing. It opens in the P.O.S.T screen and reboots, looping, again and again, it never reaches the screen to boot into windows. Video card is newer, as it had onboard video and that's one thing I thought it might be, so I installed the one I had on hand.

OK, so it is not finishing the BIOS portion of the boot process. Since it probably has the minimum amount of memory in it, and you probably do not have any spare memory to check it with, and you already tried different video, then it may be RMA time.

I guess I should have said P.O.S.T. loop instead BIOS. But yeah, that's what it's doing. It has 4GB of RAM, G.Skill, because it has 32bit Windows 7 on the harddrive. And no I have no other memory on hand.

I started running memtest86+ but storms in the area, power flicked off and I shut the system down, unplugged now.

Will just contact Gigabyte and get an RMA. Won't be able to send it out until Saturday when I get paid.

Were you running memtest from a bootable CD? That would seem to indicate that the boot process can still complete, just not from the OS on the hard drive.

Yes. I was running memtest from a UBCD, the latest one.

I will run hdd test next.

Another thing is BIOS isn't seeing the video card I installed but that's where the monitor cable is plugged into and screen is up.

If the BIOS is not seeing the video card when it should, that is not looking good. However, if it boots from the UBCD, you could still have a hard drive or memory issue.

Soon as the thunderstorms move out of the area, I'll run a hdd diagnostics test on it. And if that passes, tonight I'll start the memory test again.

Ran Seatools on hdd which passed. So no errors on hdd. Running memtest86+ right now.

Memtest found no errors. Guess I'll be contacting Gigabyte tomorrow for an RMA.

Thread Information