Hard Drive Dies. Can it Be Reserected ?

Thread: Hard Drive Dies. Can it Be Reserected ?

Hard Drive Dies. Can it Be Reserected ?

I have a PC that I use for windows XP. Suddenly, the HD (500) went blank. When I try to boot , it states that windows can no longer read from selected boot disk. I removed the drive & set it up in a HD cradle to test. When fired up, it says you need to reformat. When I try to reformat, it states that windows can no longer read from selected boot disk also. Is there any way to save this HD, or should I just toss it ?? Thanks for your time....
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Sounds like toast to me. I'd toss since it also appears that you don't the data that is on it.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

When I try to reformat, it states that windows can no longer read from selected boot disk also.
    It sounds like a totally dead drive. If you wanted to save the data, you shouldn't have tried to format in the first place.

If you ran the manufacturer's diagnostic software on it, it might return an error that would tell you what is wrong. It is possible that the circuit board on the drive died. Even if that is the case though, a used board would probably cost more than the drive is worth unless you need to recover data from it;unless you have a another drive of the exactly same type available to swap boards.

Thanks guys for all the input. The option to format was the only option I had. What jdc suggested might leave some hope. I might be able to find another exact drive. Anyway thanks for all the input.
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Thread Information