IP Address conflict
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP Address conflict

IP Address conflict

The message 'IP Address Conflict', appears from time to time. How do I resolve it?

I have three computers on the network, the modem itself and a smart TV.

Thanks - rev

That means 2 devices have been assigned the IP.

Are you using a router? If so, are you using DHCP? Do any devices have a static IP set?

You may want to read this on understanding and resolving IP address conflicts.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._conflicts.htm
    Eric

>Are you using a router?
    A modem - but I get the error using wireless too.

>If so, are you using DHCP?
    No idea, how would I find out?

>Do any devices have a static IP set?
    Not the computers but the TV might have, again, I don't know how to find out.

A modem only allows a single computer/etc to access it at any given time unless it is a modem/router combination.

Posting the make and model of your modem will help.

It's a Telmex Infinitum K47R (I'm in Mexico) with at least four network outlets on the back. I didn't have the issue until I bought the TV.

Telmex Infinitum K47R
    I'm guessing that's a modem/router combo. Google doesn't have much on that model. Are you sure that's the correct make/model?
    Most of the time, routers are set to use DHCP. You'd need to go into the modem/router's configuration page. You should also check the number of network clients allowed. That should be listed along with the DHCP settings.

You would need to look at the TV's network settings to find out the IP info. Post the make/model of the TV.

>I'm guessing that's a modem/router combo.
    Yeah, I would think so. Yes, I'm certain of the model.

>You'd need to go into the modem/router's configuration page
    I'm reluctant to do that because 1) I don't know what I'm doing, and 2) everything's been fine for 10 years.

I will try to find out what the TV is set to. It's a Samsung 5 Series UN50J5550AF.

I can't find any manuals for that modem/router. Usually, the config page would be something like http://192.168.1.1. You wouldn't be changing any settings, just looking. I'm pretty sure it is set to DHCP. If you were using static IPs, you would know.

It's possible that the number of DHCP clients is set really low, so that might cause conflicts. It's kind of like musical chairs. You already have at least 4 clients, not counting smartphones or things like that.

As far as I can tell, the TV would also be set to DHCP.
    http://www.samsung.com/mx/support/model/UN50J5550AFXZX

My best guess is that the TV is retaining the IP it had the last time it was on. If a computer already has that IP, you'd see an IP conflict error.

Maybe this will help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

According to that, the modem/router is at 192.168.1.254. Your client IP is 192.168.1.66. You're definitely using DHCP.
    I've never worked with a Huawei router before, but I'd guess the config page is at http://192.168.1.254

You'd want the number of DHCP clients allowed on the router to be higher than the number of actual devices.

Where are you seeing the IP conflict error, on a computer or on the TV? Most devices should know if their old IP (lease) is being used, so they would just try to obtain a new IP.

>Where are you seeing the IP conflict error?
    Only on the computers so far, never on the TV.

If you only see it on the computers, you can do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew to obtain a new IP.

Thanks.

That will probably work for me. It's not really troublesome and after dismissing the message everything seems fine again.

I think you need to specify the number of devices to be connected in the modem's settings

Thread Information