Configsafe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Configsafe

Configsafe

Where can I download configsafe for windows 98.

Jerry

Jerry,

I don't think you are going to find ConfigSafe for Windows 98 available for download anywhere.

However, you could still use Acronis or another pay or free disk imaging program that you can boot from CD or DVD to image the drive that you have Windows 98 installed on. The only possible issue is that you may not be able to boot from the CD/DVD drive on your Windows 98 computer if the BIOS does not support booting from the CD/DVD drive. In that case you would need to attach the drive temporarily to a computer that either has imaging software installed on it or that supports booting from the CD/DVD drive in order to make your disk image.

Possibly useful links:

https://www.storagecraft.com/support...ing-windows-98

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...ws-98.2340813/

I have a copy of configsafe for win 98. I took it off another computer used before.
    However it has so many images stored of earlier uses that it will not store any more.
    When I try to use it and type in a name to save the image it just goes to the the
    last image I uses in the other computer. I tried to delete the image names but
    after deleting all of them and then doing a scan to save a computer image it just
    brings up the last image from the earlier computer. How can I delete all the former
    images so I can make a new one?

Jerry

I have never used ConfigSafe and do not have a copy, so I cannot say how you would do this. Is it actually installed on your Windows 98 system? If so, there should be an option somewhere to remove old images. Do you have a Help file or system for it? My guess is that just deleting the images won't remove them from ConfigSafe's database. I was not able to find any help information for ConfigSafe either.

If it were my Windows 98 system, I would probably use something else to make images of it. Chances are, the hard drive you have Windows 98 installed on does not have a lot of free space, so you may have trouble saving images to it.

You could try this link:

http://www.weathereye.com/configsafe.html

You are right. Configsafe for win 98 is not available. How do I go about making a backup image and putting it on a CD?

Jerry

Does any member of this community have a copy of configsafe for Windows 98. Let me know.

Thanks, Jerry

To make a backup image of your Windows 98 system drive, there are potentially 2 options:

1. If the computer you are running Windows 98 on can boot from a CD/DVD drive, you can use a bootable CD to run a disk imaging program to make the backup image. You can try booting an Ultimate Boot CD (after creating one) from the link below on that system to see what happens.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide

2. You can remove the hard drive from the Windows 98 computer and connect it to a computer that either has a later version of Windows or that can boot from a CD/DVD drive and then make a backup image of the Windows 98 drive, then put the Windows 98 drive back into its computer.

I want to make an image of my Win 98se computer. I have a Clonezilla Triple-Boot-CD ROM CD Version: 2.3.2-22 bootable on 32/64 chipsets.
    I would like to make an image of my Win 98se Hard drive so I could restore if something goes wrong. I would burn the image onto a CD disk.
    However I am not sure how to do it. Can I get help on using the program.

Jerry

Have you tried booting from the Clonezilla CD on your Windows 98se computer?

If so, what were the results?

I put the cd in a player and it froze up my computer. I did not try to boot from it as I do not know how the program works. PLease explain how it
    works and what booting has to do with it. ALSO I have an external hard drive and would save the image to it but I tried to make another directory
    on it and forgot the DOS command to make it.What is the command and when the image is saved to my external hard drive is the given a name and
    all saved under that name? How do I set the name?

Jerry

That CD is designed to be used to boot the computer from - it has its own operating system and application software, and will not be recognized by Windows 98se. You boot the computer from the CD and it loads its own operating system and runs the Clonezilla program. This allows it to backup your hard drive while Windows is NOT running, so that you don't have any issues with open files or running programs. It also means that you can back up to devices that might not be available under Windows 98se.

How is your external hard drive connected to your computer?

You should be able to create a new folder from the Clonezilla program on any drive that it sees.

Command to make a directory/folder:

http://www.computerhope.com/mdhlp.htm

I have WM Mybook external USB 3.0 Hard Drive. If I back up my computer to this will the image have just one file name and can I change ii.

Is the backup image program in Win 7 and Win 10 just as good as the Clonezilla image program?

Jerry

Is the backup image program in Win 7 and Win 10 just as good as the Clonezilla image program?
    Not in my opinion. If you really read through the instructions on how to use Microsoft's imaging system, and know what you are doing, you might be able to make it work OK for you, but I wouldn't trust it to be 100% reliable.

I have WM Mybook external USB 3.0 Hard Drive. If I back up my computer to this will the image have just one file name and can I change it?
    I have not used Clonezilla specifically, but most imaging programs will let you make either 1 large image file or several smaller ones that will fit onto CD's or DVD's. You select the options. You did not mention how much used space you have on your hard drive, so we don't know if a backup will take multiple discs or not.

I put in the Clonezilla cd and booted up to it. I got the following screen: START UP MENU

DIAGNOSTICS F2
    BOOT MENU F9
    COMPUTER SETUP F10
    SYSTEM RECOVERY F11
    NETWORK BOOT F12
    UTILITIES
    RUN UEFI APPLICATION

I ran UEFI Application and it picked out my dvd drive and said on image file available.

What do I do to stsrt the Clonezilla program to send an image of my computer to my MY BOOK USB enternal drive.

Jerry

Thread Information