PC FAILURE - HAVE QUESTIONS??

Thread: PC FAILURE - HAVE QUESTIONS??

PC FAILURE - HAVE QUESTIONS??

My primary pc recently failed on me. Will not boot. fans all work, green indicater light on back lights. no bios boot. I checked pwr supply. its ok. I get a one note beep 1-2 secs. apart . Some literature indicated a cpu failure. The cpu is : AMD FX FD6100WMW6KGU. I see lots of these (used) on ebay from $50 - $60. I also see that Amazon has a new AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-CORE CPU FOR $79.
    My question is : would these 2 cpu's interchange ? If not what would : Listed below is pc specs

HP PAVILLION HPE MODEL H8-1100Z
    MOTHER BOARD...M3970AM
    CPU - FD6100WMW6KGU

I really liked this model . It has lots of USB ports & did a great job for for quite a few years. I would like to resurrect this unit if possible. It's been years since Ive been involved with cpu's & or mother boards.
    Any suggestions or help on this matter would be greatly appreciated
    Where there's a will, there's a way

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    According to this:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03117539

The only CPU that would work would be the 6100, 8100, 8120, or 8150.

Thanks for the reply, photolady. Would any of those higher wattage cpu's be detrimental to the mb. In other words, create a heavier workload??

The higher wattage CPUs should not cause a motherboard problem, although you may want to check the motherboard first for any bulging or leaking capacitors, just in case. If any bad capacitors are found, those could be your actual problem rather than the CPU. If the board is OK, just make sure that the CPU heatsink/fan is properly installed. Note: If your current CPU has only a heatsink but no fan, a replacement heatsink/fan might be in order.

Mobo, No
    Power supply depends on the cpu.
    The FX-8100 would be a good upgrade as has the same 95W as the 6100 so that would not tax the power supply and more.

But then again
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/295...s_FX-8100.html

I found my FX-8150 to be overkill cpu wise.

Thanks to all for the replies. I decided I'm going to shoot for a replacement MB. That will resolve any worry about which is bad, the cpu or the mb & also an upgrade as well ....Thanks again............

Dumb question, but did you do the basics like reseating the RAM? I know the beep codes imply CPU, but CPUs don't die that often.

Try a spare PSU if you have one, also.

Would any of those higher wattage cpu's be detrimental to the mb. In other words, create a heavier workload??
    No, the motherboard will just draw what it needs. A higher wattage means it is able to support more devices or higher draw devices, like video cards.

Yes, Midknyte, I did that also. As I stated in my last post. I am replacing all with a newer setup, but still use the same chassis. have a great weekend................

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    You are aware that the USB ports don't come with the chassis, right?

And you might want to check if the front panel wires from the case hook up to the new motherboard, also.

Yes, I am aware of that situation. However, I'm going to fudge on this one. I'm having a computer shop that I have known for many years, install the MB for me.
    But now I have another unrelated problem. I have one PC that I used for windows XP. Suddenly, the HD (500) went blank. When I try to boot , it states that windows can no longer read from selected boot disk. I removed the drive & set it up in a HD cradle to test. When fired up, it says you need to reformat. When I try to reformat, it states that windows can no longer read from selected boot disk also. Is there any way to save this HD, or should I just toss it ??

Thread Information