Firefox search issues

Thread: Firefox search issues

Firefox search issues

Using Win 10, Lenovo Laptop. I have had Google for my search engine in Firefox with no issues. Today I thought I would try OpenSource Office suite and installed it. I did not like the way it worked, so I uninstalled it through Programs and Features. Afterward I tried to search in Firefox and a Malwarebyes popup came up telling me it had blocked an operation outbound by services.searchtanew.com. I looked at Firefox search engines and Opensource showed as the search engine, so I changed it to Google. When I closed Firefox and reopened it, Opensource was again the default. I even removed it from the list box and selected Google again. Each time when I reopen Firefox, Opensource is there again. I ran a Malwarebytes scan and nothing showed up there. How do I get rid of his Opensource search engine. I can use Chrome and have no problem with Opensource. What do you suggest?
    JGB

Where did you get this "OpenSource Office" suite from? I've never heard of that app before. There is OpenOffice, if that's what you meant.

What version of Firefox are you running? Did you look at the addons? It's possible that something got installed.

Are you sure it said "services.searchtanew.com"? I don't see anything when I search for that. There is an adware called "searchnew", though.

You might need to get a more thorough malware check by Broni:
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...ted-3-21-2015)

Many thanks for your assistance. Firefox is set to auto update, so whatever the latest version is what I have. Thanks to your suggestion I might have an add-on, I checked and there was an add on by the same name as the search tab indicated. I downloaded Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.1. I left out a "b" in giving the "services.searchtabnew.com". Removing this add-on seems to have solved the problem. When I installed the OpenOffice, I do not remember any option available for custom installation. If here is that option available, I usually take a look at it and eliminate search suggestions, additional tool bars, etc. Thanks again.
    JGB

I prefer and use LibreOffice. Both linux and Windows.
    Much prefer it and it does have a option to customize the install.
    But you have to really pay attention during the install.

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-searchtabnew-com/

Run mbam, Adwcleaner and Junkware Removal tool. to clean up now.

Thanks for the link. I will follow through on those tools.
    JGB

Thread Information