Unable to rid folder and file of unknown software

Thread: Unable to rid folder and file of unknown software

Unable to rid folder and file of unknown software

I have two issues. I have a backup hard drive that I uses to store my photos, music and ancestry reschedule.

Here recently my system crashed for unknown reason. So I strip away all the extra drives which one of them "the backup" seems to had failed, so I though.

After reinstall Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10 all seem find, plugged in the CD ROM all is good. So now I only showed a C: drive and my D: drive which is
    my CDROM. And as soon as I re-plugged my backup drive (Drive F) another drive appears (Drive E) shows up as a SYSTEM RESERVED, which I saw before but never missed
    with. But from reading online this is nothing new to the Windows 7 and up. But it stated in a article "Windows doesn’t assign a drive letter to these partitions, so you’ll only see them when you use Disk Management or similar utility."

Well it's assigned a drive letter and I can see it on the "This PC" window.

Second issue is that I notice a folder on the backup drive with random letters and numbers. When I try to first open the folder it wouldn't give me access. Windows kinda walked me through a process to gain access to the folder, which I have now. In the folder with as two other folders and two other programs (one of them being a "setup" file. But for what I do not know and the system will not let me access the setup file to see what it is.

So I decide hey lets delete it, but windows won't even let me do that.
    Capture6.PNG
    Will update soon

Since you re-installed Windows, the user ID (not user name) may have changed. Did you try to take ownership of the folder?

Possibly useful link:

https://www.sevenforums.com/virtuali...s-1-5-4-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Since you re-installed Windows, the user ID (not user name) may have changed. Did you try to take ownership of the folder?

Possibly useful link:

https://www.sevenforums.com/virtuali...s-1-5-4-a.html

Yes I have ownership or I can gain access to the folder now. But when I click on the setup.exe file (just to see what program it is) I get this error message, and I can't delete the folder.
    Capture7.PNG
    Will update soon

All is cool now

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkertron View Post
    Yes I have ownership or I can gain access to the folder now. But when I click on the setup.exe file (just to see what program it is) I get this error message, and I can't delete the folder.
    Capture7.PNG
    I found a software called LOCKHUNTER and it took care of the folder and files.
    Will update soon

Actually, you could install win 10 with out going the Win 8 route and been fine.

I have done it several times now. Remember the system is registered in the cloud and will re register when on line.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Actually, you could install win 10 with out going the Win 8 route and been fine.

I have done it several times now. Remember the system is registered in the cloud and will re register when on line.
    Yeah I had lost my Windows 10 installation usb flash drive. And it was hard find only where to download the install files, or I was so blind and dumb to
    search it out correctly.
    Will update soon

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkertron View Post
    Yeah I had lost my Windows 10 installation usb flash drive. And it was hard find only where to download the install files, or I was so blind and dumb to
    search it out correctly.
    That happens and is why I have a couple copies downloaded.
    I used the tool from here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool

USB and DVD and the ISO is saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    That happens and is why I have a couple copies downloaded.
    I used the tool from here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool

USB and DVD and the ISO is saved.
    This is a quote on the page "Before you run the Download Tool, make sure you have purchased the Windows ISO download from Microsoft Store and downloaded the Windows ISO file to your drive. If you have purchased Windows but have not yet downloaded the ISO file, you can download the ISO file from your Microsoft Store Account."

Why would I need to purchase the ISO file if Windows 10 is free?
    I have the License Key. I just need the software.
    Will update soon

Guess I will have to fire up my Windows laptop. Using Linux right now.

Yes thing look different
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    Download tool
    Saved it , it is the Media creation tool.exe
    Double click it
    It opened, accepted the license bit.
    Follow the on screen prompts And should as for a key use you Windows 8.1 key.
    Had that work on Win 7 rig where the hdd died a couple months ago

Thread Information