Flash is crawling

Thread: Flash is crawling

Flash is crawling

On May 10, I got this problem with FlashPlayer on Firefox ESR 52.1.2 on the Win 7 computer in my profile. It started crawling, with sound not co-ordinated with the visual. I occasionally need Flash for some of my work, and we've run out of ideas on Mozillazine.

Flash version is 25.0.0.171

A typical game: http://www.puzzlegameshq.com/games/bubble_shooter/
    A typical video: http://www.freewebarcade.com/game/st...er-unlimited//
    I can't see the test here: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

I uninstalled and reinstalled FlashPlayer, no good.
    I ran FF with the default empty profile that comes with the the first installation. I've never used it, so it's pristine. No good.
    I can't eliminate Firefox as a variable because this version of Flash works only on Firefox.

I ran Win 7 in Safe-Mode with Networking, and Flash ran fine.
    Thinking it was the A-V, I switched from BitDefender to Avira.
    In normal mode, the problem persisted.

So the only clue now is Safe-Mode. What else gets turned off besides the A-V? Is there something I can switch on and off to test?
    Last edited by foxy; May 23rd, 2017 at 01:23 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

If the slowdown only occurs in Windows normal mode, and only in Flash with Firefox (Flash works OK with Chrome or IE), the it is either a Firefox issue or a Firefox Flash player issue. Since you already tried a clean Firefox install the only other thing that might be an issue is if there is a Flash updater service running.

Each browser has a different Flash program. Why can't the culprit be something in Windows that doesn't run with Safe Mode?

The Flash updater runs constantly? I don't see it in Task Mger.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why can't the culprit be something in Windows that doesn't run with Safe Mode?
    It could be, but tracking down what it was might be more trouble than it is worth.

The Flash Updater may be in Services and/or under the Processes tab in Task Manager. You could also look for it in the Startup settings and disable it there.

Not running anywhere, doesn't exist in Services.
    I found the file: C:\windows\syswow64\flashplayerupdateservice.exe. So if I disable it, what?

OK, there's an entire thread devoted to slowness and crashing on the Adobe Flash Forum, with updates going back to March, and mostly in Win 10. But no solutions. It's not a very active forum. There are also tons of complaints there with this latest Flash. I might just sit it out till Adobe addresses in the next update.

Would you believe 1 woman on that forum plays the same BubbleShooter game? Really.
    Last edited by foxy; May 23rd, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

disable updates from the Flash Player Settings Manager in Control Panel.

If that does not stop it, then
    http://speedutilities.com/remove/fla...rvice.exe.html

Done.

So now what? Should I go back and use an older Flash, or is this the end of the road ?

An older version of Flash Player for Firefox might solve the slowness issue, however, Flash Player updates are almost always issued due to security vulnerabilities, so using an older version might introduce additional risks.

There will most likely be another update in the future to fix the slowness issue, but when that will be available is anyone's guess.

I know I don't have any malware. Should I run something like System Explorer and print it here?

You could use Process Explorer to try to see what might be causing the issue, but it might take more time than it is worth.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...sexplorer.aspx

You could also check Event Viewer for any errors or issues.

Thread Information