Your computer is Infected with a Virus, CALL THIS NUMBER!

Thread: Your computer is Infected with a Virus, CALL THIS NUMBER!

Your computer is Infected with a Virus, CALL THIS NUMBER!

This has happened to me twice recently (in the last 6 weeks), but it has happened to my mother 4 or 5 times in the last month.

Typically either of us will be on Facebook and click on a link, but instead of opening the link, it goes to a stubborn page that says something to the effect that -

This is a Microsoft Alert. Your computer is infected with a virus and your personal data may not be secure. Please all this number for additional help.

The screens don't always look the same but they are similar. In addition to the screen indicating the virus, another small window pops up over the screen making it very difficult to close that page.

Just now while I was at my mother's clearing that Virus Warning page from her screen, I also clicked a link on Facebook, and some half-hearted almost loaded version of the page popped up.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

She and I are using the latest paid version of Kaspersky Internet Security. Each time we ran a scan and it came up clean.

I'm also running a paid version of Malwarebytes in addition to Kaspersky and the Malwarebytes scan comes back clean on my machine.

Any thoughts on this? It is rare on my computer, but it is starting to happen every week on my mother's computer.

This happened again today and I captured the URL which includes the Phone Number -

hxxp://ffwzbv.us/csvfw/td/52BBhga/?num=(855)%20205-4224

http:/ / ffwzbv.us / csvfw / td / 52BBhga / ?num=(855)%20205-4224

I think I can safely say that FFWZBV.us is not an official Microsoft page.

My mother's computer is an older Win-XP Dell, pretty basic. That is actually my old computer, my mother's previous computer was hijacked by ransomware. We simply scrapped it.

Thoughts?

Steve/bluewizard

Those things are pretty common unfortunately. Most often they are links that have been placed there by the bad guys who want to infect your computer (and/or rip you off for money by pretending they're from Microsoft) or from redirects from websites that are compromised or from ads appearing on those sites that have been themselves infected with trojans. Using an ad blocker like uBlock Origin is a good way to eliminate many of those pages if they're related to infected ads or redirect popups.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jbkeiagm?hl=en

Most importantly NEVER click on any button or link on those warning pages or do ANYTHING they suggest. Close the page or the browser immediately when you see one.

I altered the link in your post so it's not clickable.

It would be advisable to upgrade your mother's computer from XP to something newer and currently supported as well.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I've seen those warnings as well.. and in most cases you can't log off or close.,, you can try the alt/c/delete may work, other wise you have to simply pull the power altogether..

I'm wondering why with all the Facebook security 'supposedly' in place,, they- Facebook can't take of this themselves ..
    Windows 10 Home 64 Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900) 256 GB - 5400 rpm SATA
    Windows 10 //21H1 (OS Build 19044..2251) 64bit //Google Chrome 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ 16GB Memory/ AMD Radeon HD 7700 series Video Card//N68C-GS FX2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core /[/B]

I've found that for the stubborn ones that won't close then ending the process in task manager via ctrl/alt/del has always been effective. I've never had to power off the computer but I most certainly would do a cold reboot as a last resort.

I assume that Facebook just doesn't have the manpower to police every link in real time and any kind of automatic process would only be minimally effective because the malware links would be changing very quickly.. probably more than hourly so updating an auto process that often would take just as much work as doing manual scanning.

Just like home made videos of assault and violence that get posted they mostly rely on users to inform them so they can delete them.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

They could not hire enough people
    https://zephoria.com/top-15-valuable...ok-statistics/
    EXAMPLE:
    Every 60 seconds on Facebook: 510,000 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and 136,000 photos are uploaded.

Thread Information