MSCONFIG runtime time error message - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSCONFIG runtime time error message

I did what I did -- there is probably a difference technically between restore & recover -- restore or recover, from within the TI program. It offers the choice to recover, I think it says, disks or files, and I selected disks, and the program began restoring/recovering. When it was almost completed, according to the moving line produced telling the progress, it stopped and showed a message which I did not copy down. I understand File History is a Windows app, not connected to TI. At this point, I can try to find someone using TI and get them to create what I need to recover/restore the tib data. I might even have to repurchase it. As I look back on this, I think my error was in not testing or verifying the TI boot disk. Something happened to my system, corrupting my Quicken data file & who knows what else. You have been helpful & I thank you.
    JGB

OK, I have installed Windows and am back to the computer. I had the download/install file for TI on my flashdrive, so I have installed Acronis. TI says the data in a tib file can be recovered in Windows Explorer Recovering files in Windows Explorer. Here is the statement:

"To recover files and folders directly from Windows Explorer:
    Double-click the corresponding .tib file, and then browse to the file or folder that you want to recover.
    Copy the file or folder to a hard disk."

I want to recover all that is in the tib file. I can recover a folder at a time, but I also designated "Documents" as the entity to back up, with several other things not in that library. When I open TI, there are no backups shown since there have been none made with this installation, so recovering the files from using Explorer seems best. it says I could create a recovery disk and recover using that, too. But if I am restoring "Documents" and all under it, what is the destination to be entered?

I did explore the Recovery drive. It is a 10 G flash drive with 4+ G used. It looks like it has everything needed, Boot and EFI folders, and a Microsoft folder, Fonts folder. I do not know why it was not recognized. Thanks again for your assistance.
    JGB

Yes, Restore and Recover can mean two different things. When I said Restore, I meant wiping the drive and restoring Windows from your .tib file. Recovery to me would be getting data files back, i.e recovering data.

But if I am restoring "Documents" and all under it, what is the destination to be entered?
    You can choose a different target folder for the data recovery. If you had a "Documents" folder, you could create an "OldDocs" folder and extract the .tib data there.

I don't use TI to backup my data, only my OS and applications. I don't see benefit to trapping my data in a .tib file. I have multiple external USB HDs with my data on it, including copies at another location (ex. work, mom's house, etc).

I did explore the Recovery drive. It is a 10 G flash drive with 4+ G used. It looks like it has everything needed, Boot and EFI folders, and a Microsoft folder, Fonts folder. I do not know why it was not recognized.
    Again, this is completely separate from TI. You'd use the Windows Recovery drive if Windows wasn't bootable and you wanted to do a System Restore or a Clean Install.

SyncBackFree is what I use with my DATA as I have 17 years of Family Genealogy work, about 600 GB worth so far, that I would sure hate to have disappear.
    https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html
    I have 3 USB hdds, of which only one is on site at any time. Plus 5 of my children and my brothers and sisters all have a copy.

The OS, I am not worried about at all, I will just reinstall it and the programs. But that is just my take on it

Certainly your method of recovering your data is a good one, Train. I was confident I had all the data backed up, but I had never needed to recover before. Excellent methods of backup are available, and you idea of having off site data storage is excellent. In working through trying to recover, I think that is the proper term, some data, I found TI has a function I had not been aware of. It can be set so that when trying to recover one depresses F-11 when the computer is booting and this bypasses Windows opening and opens TI with options to search for the backup files, then selecting from those tib files the data you wish recovered. A external boot disk is not required. I thank the moderators here for sticking with me and giving excellent advice, even reading through my recover versus restore terms. My system is working now, and I can reinstall at my leisure.
    JGB

It can be set so that when trying to recover one depresses F-11 when the computer is booting and this bypasses Windows opening and opens TI with options to search for the backup files, then selecting from those tib files the data you wish recovered.
    That's only if you install the TI Rescue partition. It's still important to have a boot disc/usb drive. If the hard drive fails, the Rescue partition is useless.

You are so right about needing the external drive for a failed HD. Again, I want to get my tech terms correct when posting. I said, "I found TI has a function I had not been aware of. It can be set so that when trying to recover one depresses F-11 when the computer is booting...." Is this installing a Rescue Partition? If it is,then I had one. But TI Help info describes this as bypassing the Win boot and goes to a TI boot -- very non technical terms, but the best way I can describe it. I found this easier to use than going through Explorer to open folders in the tib backups and trying to "copy and paste" from there.
    JGB

It can be set so that when trying to recover one depresses F-11 when the computer is booting...." Is this installing a Rescue Partition?
    Yes. Instead of booting into Windows, it boots from the Rescue partition.
    http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support...tml#10119.html
    http://www.briteccomputers.co.uk/pos...is-true-image/

Thread Information