MSCONFIG runtime time error message
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSCONFIG runtime time error message

MSCONFIG runtime time error message

I tried to open MSCONFIG and got an error message.Runtime error.jpg What do I do to correct this? Many thanks
    JGB

Try running SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated (admin) command prompt.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how...dism-commands/

i did the scan and the message was some files could not be repaired and the result was in CBS.log. I saved that file and re-ran the scan in safe mode. Again there was the message some files could not be repaired. I have the scan result in CBS-safe mode.log. I reset this computer about 2 weeks ago, leaving my files and data. I use Quicken and yesterday I opened it and the data file showed it had been corrupted when I validated it, so I restored it from a backup. Now this issue here. I have no idea what could have happened, no power surges, etc I can upload the logs if hey migh be helpful. Thanks.
    JGB

If you look at the second part of the link, it mentions how to run DISM

To run the DISM command in Windows 8 and 10, open a Command Prompt with administrative privileges. Type the following command and then press Enter to have DISM check your Windows component store for corruption and automatically fix any problems it finds.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Thanks for your assistance. I did the DISM run and at 91.5% complete it stopped and gave an "Error 1726. The remote procedure call failed." I checked what that meant and I found in Services, RPC is running, automatic. Are there other repair options available, or just try a restore point? I also use Acronis and have a full backup I could restore from that. Again, thanks for your help.
    JGB

Yes, you can try a System Restore to an earlier point. That's also mentioned in the link.

If that still doesn't work, then restoring from TI would be your last option (besides a total reinstall of course).

I did try a restore point back several days -- it was the "recommended" one. And it did not restore, telling me something caused the program to terminate, etc. I do not know what TI is. About a month ago I contacted one of vendors for a password manager about the program not working in Edge -- the icon would show but when I tried to activate it, the wheel just kept spinning. They told me the issue was with Microsoft and MS was aware of the issue. A week or so later, in an mail, the vendor gave me a link to a suggested solution, involving admin cmd. Entries were given to delete certain sections of commands, I guess -- I am sorry I do not have the script --, which I did, and then when I used the second set of entries, adding back code to replace the deleted code, after some short time a message came up that the entries I was trying to add could not be added because the code -- my paraphrase -- I was entering were earlier than the code already there. These statements are lay language for technical application. Anyway after that a couple of my programs would just not run, click on the icon and nothing happened. I decided to reinstall, keeping my data, and I did that, reinstalling my programs. UGH! It was after this I realized my external drives were displayed twice -- I followed the advice given here and that is OK now -- and then discovered the MSCONFIG issue I am trying to resolve. It appears I am going to have to reinstall. I will try another restore point and TI when I find what it is, but maybe I have to reinstall. Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate your time.
    JGB

I also use Acronis and have a full backup
    You said you use Acronis. Their backup app is called True Image, AKA TI.

Of course it is!!!! I have been so aggravated with this it occurred to me once that TI was "Toss It." My ignorance is so displayed sometimes. You have been so very helpful. Remember the comic panel many years ago with the over wrought person sitting in front of a desk top model, frustration showing as only a comic can display it, yelling at the machine, "Do you understand the meaning of the words "sledge hammer"? I am working on TI -- take your pick for meaning! Again, thanks.
    JGB

I did use True Image. It began ok restoring the entire system, but after almost 2 hours, it aborted and said some error, I forgot to write it down, had occurred. I thought I had made a recovery USB using Acronis, with an image to restore. The drive shows 380 mb used, but only item in Recovery is an empty text file. I decided since something is totally wrong. I would get a Windows 10 Home edition and install it, but after entering the product key, install tells to start Win 10 normally, then connect the install USB drive & follow the prompts. The problem is Windows will not boot. The only option I see is one that removes all files. I really do not want to delete all the files, even though I have File History & files backed up using True Image. Is there a way I can install this without losing all the files?
    JGB

I thought I had made a recovery USB using Acronis, with an image to restore. The drive shows 380 mb used, but only item in Recovery is an empty text file.
    What version of TI are you using? If anything, that's the TI boot flash drive. It would not contain your restore file (.tib). You would have had to save the .tib file on an external hard drive or something. Have you done a TI backup and restore before?
    It's important to write down the error messages, otherwise we can't help you.

I would get a Windows 10 Home edition and install it, but after entering the product key, install tells to start Win 10 normally, then connect the install USB drive & follow the prompts.
    Are you installing from a DVD or a flash drive? I sounds like you are trying to do an install over your existing Windows.

I really do not want to delete all the files, even though I have File History & files backed up using True Image. Is there a way I can install this without losing all the files?
    What do you mean by "files"? Do you mean your data? You should have backed up your data BEFORE attempting a TI restore.

Let me try, on a pad rather than the computer, answer. I use TI 2015. I have on an external drive both a full backup, meaning disk & partition, and separately a backup of files. Document folder aand several other folders. The files/folders backup was made yesterday, as was the disk,/partition backup. While I have backed up regularly, I have never had to restore using TI. I did do the Windows recovery before, & I did that maybe a month ago due to the issues I mentioned. So when I used TI to restore the disk/partition route, I selected a date right after the Windows recovery. This is the trial that aborted. I have that tib and the file,/folders tib on an external drive.

I am using a flash drive. The Windows install is a flash drive, and you are correct that I am trying to install over the corrupted windows that will not boot. The installation asks for an image file. I thought what I was creating, when I did it after the recovery, was an image file.

With the tib files on the external drive, and the File History backup on the same external drive, if it necessary to delete all the data, how can I use these to restore the data? The Acronis program is in those backups. I did do a backup before I tried the restore, to respond to your last statement. And I totally understand the need for error messages info. But I don't have it. I have tried to respond to your very pertinent questions. I have the backups, but the operating system was messed up and it did not work. None of the restore points worked. Neither did sfc. Nor the other suggested method for repairing corrupted system files. I thank you for working with me and will try to follow suggestions you have. I hope there are not too many errors in this text -- using a pad keyboard can give odd spellings & weird words!
    JGB

So when I used TI to restore the disk/partition route, I selected a date right after the Windows recovery. This is the trial that aborted. I have that tib and the file,/folders tib on an external drive.
    Did you run TI from a boot drive or from within Windows? What do you mean "trial"? Once you start the recovery, it will overwrite the disk and partition info. If it failed, then Windows won't be bootable anymore and your data will be gone.

I am using a flash drive. The Windows install is a flash drive, and you are correct that I am trying to install over the corrupted windows that will not boot. The installation asks for an image file. I thought what I was creating, when I did it after the recovery, was an image file.
    The Windows Recovery boot disk is different than making an image file with TI. You can do a "clean" install over your existing Windows. This will wipe out your data.

if it necessary to delete all the data, how can I use these to restore the data? The Acronis program is in those backups.
    Did you make an Acronis boot disc or flash drive? That's what you would need to boot from in order to restore the .tib.
    When TI restores an entire disk, it rebuilds the partitions as if the drive was blank. This is what would happen if you had to replace the original hard drive due to disk failure.

You didn't say what your system specs are, or if you upgraded from an older version of Windows. I'm going to assume this is a new computer that came with Win10 and uses UEFI.

These are my procedures for TI2016, but it should be similar to TI2015.

Restore an image file with Acronis True Image 2016:

Boot into Acronis True Image (disc or flash drive)
    Under Recover, click My Disks
    Browse to the .tib image file you want to restore, and click Next
    Select Recover whole disks and partitions, and click Next

For UEFI computers (Windows 8, 8.1, 10), select the following partitions:
    EFI
    System Reserved(about 500MB for Windows 10)
    C:
    (Do NOT select the MBR partition!)

Click Next
    Select the target disk for each partition >> since this is for the same drive, choose the corresponding partitions
    *Make sure to leave enough disk space for ALL the partitions
    (You may need to shrink the C: partition for now)
    Click Proceed

I logged in & wrote an answer to your post last time I posted, & when I clicked on "send," a message came up I did not have permission or privilege to post. Please refresh the page and repost. I was logged in. I copied the post, did a refresh, which logged me out, but then I pasted the post and it went through. Same thing this time, but the copy was only one word, not the whole post.

I thought I had an Acronis boot made, but it did not create it. If I had a boot disk, you say. I could use the tib data to rebuild my computer. I also have, separately on the same external drive, the Acronis backup of files & folders. So can someone create an Acronis disk for me? That seems to be what I need. Or if I installed Windows from the disk I have, partioning the drive, couldn't the files/folders backup be used to restore those? And I have File History on the same external drive. How could I use that to restore data? Thanks again for your time and expertise.
    JGB

How did you attempt the TI restore in the first place if you didn't have a boot disc? You can install TI on another computer and then create a restore disc or flash drive.

Or if I installed Windows from the disk I have, partioning the drive, couldn't the files/folders backup be used to restore those?
    I'm guessing you mean Windows File History, which is totally independent of TI. If the TI restore works, you can run the Windows File History restore after that. I'm not sure that it would work if you did a clean install of Windows, since the user profile would be different.

Focus on restoring the tib first, then you can see about the Windows File History.

Thread Information