[RESOLVED] can't install Update KB4014981 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] can't install Update KB4014981

System snapshot would be a good start.

Except the words "HDD Total Size" and laptop "System: Dell product," your specs are Chinese to me :-)

Old screenshots of Belarc, before I added 2 more GB RAM. Omitted hotfixes.

I can't do any refurbs or OS disks right now. Poor cash flow.
    Last edited by foxy; May 28th, 2017 at 08:36 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Enough information to say yes it would pull Win 7

I checked and this is what Crucial says.

Maximum Memory:8GB
    Slots:4 (2 banks of 2)
    Storage: Serial ATA support So a SSD could be put in it later.
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compat...ll-form-factor

The only Win 7 I have is 64. And I'm not buying more outdated RAM or a new SSD for a computer that's 12-15 years-old. It could die anytime soon. It's just my backup. I wrote you about a new problem by PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Form Factor at Crucial is way off. The puter's huge, with bays for 5 HD's.

OK, temporarily I got it into Safe Mode, did a System Restore back to Feb, but it still says I need to activate it. So now it's either a Repair Install from the CD or Win 7?

They are good about sticking the same motherboard in several case. Dell does the same thing.

Had a thunder storm last night.

You could try a Repair Install of XP, but you might still be asked to activate it afterwards. However, Despite the fact that Microsoft no longer supports XP with updates, they should still activate it since you did pay for an XP license for that computer. You may have to call them to get it done though.

I do not see Windows 7 64 bit drivers available on HP's web site, although they do list XP 64 bit and Vista 64 bit drivers. Windows may have built in 64 bit drivers for that HP dc7700 that might work, or the Vista drivers might work. The only real way to know would be to try installing your Windows 7. Do NOT activate it until you know if everything is working.

Links:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...a_v17/12543_na

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...tor-pc/3232029

Possible link for Windows 7 64 bit drivers:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...wer-pc/3232028

June 5

@Train--I just got back to this problem, with 2 more ideas. So you don't have to read the whole thing, I'm summarizing:

The original problem was solved, but I posted a new one at the end of post #14

Should I move this to a new thread?

-XP old puter--MS claims I'm not activated
    -I tried system restore to 2/11, didn't work

-I tried this just now:
    https://community.spiceworks.com/how...dows-xp-repair
    One difference, it didn't give me the 30 extra days. Except in Safe Mode, Win XP loads, I have my custom cursor, but the desktop is black. And you can't activate in Safe Mode.

-No Win 7 drivers for the HP 7700, checked your links

-I have an image from a few months ago on my external HD. Can't I just swap the HDs? I'm just reluctant to give up this puter because it's a good machine, and I can still run some XP programs on it and use it to backup data and test some applications.
    Last edited by foxy; June 5th, 2017 at 10:35 PM.

I have an image from a few months ago on my external HD. Can't I just swap the HDs?
    You sure can. Done that many a time over the years.

Win 7 - I would expect installing Win7 then SP1, you would find you do not need to find any more drivers.
    But, I will admit being cautious enough to always use a new hdd. And leave the old one(s) alone until I was happy with what I had installed.

Thread Information