[RESOLVED] MacBook Air with Windows Partition ?

Thread: [RESOLVED] MacBook Air with Windows Partition ?

Resolved [RESOLVED] MacBook Air with Windows Partition ?

Hi,

To start with, here is some background.
    This is the first time I have a Mac laptop, given to me by a friend when he upgraded to a newer version. I cannot find what this version is and I assume there is only one MacBook Air version ? It it 64 bits and came installed with Windows 7 O/S - so I was told. My friend then had it upgraded to Windows 10.

Mac Apple and Windows o/s you may ask ? Looking at it, it seems a partition was created to run Windows o/s on it with Apple o/s system on another partition. Only the Windows partition is used. My friend is non computer literate and is not interested in its working. So no use to ask him any further b/g info

Since I got it over 6 months ago, I have been trying to get used to using Windows 10. But for some reasons, my brain keeps rejection what I have learnt and I am back to square one when I next coem to use it. Maybe I am psychologically against it ?

Anyway a couple of days ago, it took me over 30 minutes to find out how to access the DOS command prompt without success. With this in mind - that I am spending more time trying to find out how to use the system than actually using it in a productive way, my question is:
    Can I downgrade it to Windows XP, regardless of the draw back of XP not being supported by MS anymore, is prone to attack, etc. If possible to do this, what are the steps I need to take ?

Any guidance greatly appreciated and if I have left out any major points the laptop, please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks.

You might be able to change to Windows XP, but you would need some Windows XP installation media and the you would have to fuss with trying to get it installed on a Mac.

A much better idea would be to try Classic Shell to see if you can set up Windows 10 to look and work like Windows XP or Windows 7.

Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Shell

http://classicshell.net/

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    You might be able to change to Windows XP, but you would need some Windows XP installation media and the you would have to fuss with trying to get it installed on a Mac.

A much better idea would be to try Classic Shell to see if you can set up Windows 10 to look and work like Windows XP or Windows 7.

Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Shell

http://classicshell.net/
    Jdc 2000 - yes that is what I am worried about - having to fuss installing the XP, even though I have a XP Volume edition installation disk. Then I do wondered also if I need to down grade the drivers of the Mac ?

Thanks for the links. Very interesting and the second link is very useful as it shows how Classic looks ! So this mean I have to down grade Win10 to 7 first before I can try the Classic Shell ? I don't think I can roll back from 10 to 7 from the current o/s now. So that would mean a fresh Win7 install ?

For the Drivers down grade to use Win7, do I go to the Mac website to search for it or even to find out if Win 10 and 7 use the same drivers ?

Thanks in advanced for the clarifications.

So this mean I have to down grade Win10 to 7 first before I can try the Classic Shell ?
    NO. It says you can make Win 10 look like XP. Anyhow that is what I read.

I would not count on finding Windows drivers for a MacBook for any version of Windows. If you have Windows 10 up and running on it now, give Classic Shell a try. It works on Windows 10 and can make Windows 10 look like Windows XP or Windows 7. It will be much less trouble than any other solution, and you can always try something else later if you can't get Classic Shell configured the way you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    NO. It says you can make Win 10 look like XP. Anyhow that is what I read.
    I thought it said for Windows 7. But ok, will give it a try over this weekend and will report back

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I would not count on finding Windows drivers for a MacBook for any version of Windows. If you have Windows 10 up and running on it now, give Classic Shell a try. It works on Windows 10 and can make Windows 10 look like Windows XP or Windows 7. It will be much less trouble than any other solution, and you can always try something else later if you can't get Classic Shell configured the way you want.
    Thank you for the useful suggestion and its a good strategy. Will give Classic Shell a go this weekend and hope it goes well. I will report back after trying. Have a good weekend.

UPDATE: I installed Classic Shell over the weekend and it seems to be more workable as I know it than the Windows 10 display. The Classic Shell looks more like Windows XP but with some changes, like on the Control Panel, Windwos XP have the icon, then the description under the icon. On Classic Shell, it shows the description next to the icon. Still trying to find if there is a way to change it. But on the whole, better and I think more workable than what was offered on the original Windows 10 dislay. Sill need time to get use to it and find out more.

Thank you all for your kind help.

Thread Information