Sound driver only works when newly installed

Thread: Sound driver only works when newly installed

Sound driver only works when newly installed

The laptop is an HP Pavilion DV7. The problem was no sound so I uninstalled the IDT High Definition Audio Codec and rebooted. Everything works just fine until next reboot, then I get no sound. Anyone?

Thanks - rev

What version of Windows is installed?

Can we assume that the audio driver you uninstalled or disabled gets automatically re-installed on re-boot?

What method did you use to uninstall it?

Win Home Premium x64 is the OS. Yes, driver is uninstalled via CP >System and is automatically installed on boot, and it works fine for all sources, but boot again and I get no sound.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Are you using the driver from Windows or from HP?

I guess Windows because it gets reinstalled automatically on boot. It appears to me that when the driver is installed, it has all the right settings so it works but after another boot something is disabled, switched off or prohibiting the driver from working. That's the only way I can account for it - except I haven't found the answer.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    To tell the truth, I've never relied on Windows drivers. I always used the manufacturer's.

Win Home Premium x64 is the OS.
    Which version of Windows? XP, Vista, 8, 8.1, or 10?

You could check Event Viewer to see if there are any errors, like a system service related to the sound failed to start. Also, check Services when the sound is working and note any audio services, then check again when the sound is not working to see if there are any differences, like a service disabled or not started.

I agree with Photolady, Install either the HP Drivers or Drivers from the Sound Card Manufacturer.
    jdc2000's advice is Sound Advice also, Event Viewer and Services can give you an Idea about what might be going on after the Boot.

I always like to look in Device Manager first to see if there is an Exclamation on the Sound Card when you're having the problem of No Sound.

Doubt that this is your problem, but I built my son a computer and it had a Button to press in the Program for the Sound Card that resided in Control Panel.
    For some reason if you plugged in Headphones to the Front Panel Header you had to press the button to switch it to headphones in this program.
    Then if you wanted to go back to using the Speakers hooked up on the Rear Panel, you had to switch it back by pressing this button again.
    His Motherboard was a Gigabyte and had Onboard Sound!
    Yes, it was a PITA, but we got it figured out after many hours of aggravation!

Asus Zenbook Q508UG-212.R7TBL 2-in-1 Laptop
    AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor
    8gb DDR4 RAM (Soldered on Motherboard)
    1gb Western Digital Blue NVMe SSD
    NVIDA MX450 (DDR6)
    15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) Touchscreen
    Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless - AC 7260
    USB 1 x 2.0 - USB 1 x 3.0 - USB-C 1 x 3.1
    Micro SD Card Reader
    Lighted Keyboard
    Webcam/Microphone
    Windows 11 Professional