[RESOLVED] My Doc on Data partition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] My Doc on Data partition

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] My Doc on Data partition

I don't use the My Doc in the system, because I've put my folder, called "MyDDoc" on D, my data partition. Is it possible to have the (Recent) Documents in the Start Menu point to that folder?

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

That's not what I want. It's too late to move it. I've already named my folder MyDDoc, and I'm not changing it. And I have my own filing system, have ignored the Libraries.

I want to know if the (Recent) Docs shortcut in the Start Menu can point to MyDDoc without the Libraries, otherwise I'll do without it. Probably something in the registry.
    Last edited by foxy; March 20th, 2017 at 03:41 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steps from link 1:

The My Documents folder is part of Windows 7's new Documents Library. A library combines multiple folders that contain similar types of files.

To move your documents to the D drive:

1. Create a new documents folder on the D drive.
    2. Right-click the new folder and click Include in Library > Documents .
    3. Click Start > Documents .
    4. Double-click My Documents to show its contents.
    5. Drag and drop the files to the new folder.
    6. Press F5 to refresh the view.
    7. Under Documents Library , click locations .
    8. Right-click the new folder and click Set as default save location .
    9. [Optional] Click My Documents and click Remove .
    You have already done step 1.
    You need to do step 2.
    You have already done steps 3-6.
    You need to do steps 7-8.
    You can skip step 9.

OK.I miss TweakUI.
    Last edited by foxy; March 20th, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

Possible TweakUI replacements for Windows 7

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&i...ws+7&*&spf=555

...and I miss the logical filing system of XP. 7 has folders that aren't really there, links to links to links to links, folders that are like a hall of mirrors, programs you don't have permission to install..... The average user who doesn't use online help wouldn't know how to install a program that says it's not allowed to access Folders X. It has better security than XP, but it's not user-friendly. However, I was losing work that couldn't be done on XP.

Now that I've vented, I feel better.

Have you tried that program?

I have not tried any TweakUI replacements for Windows 7.

At some point, when I have to move a few computers to Windows 10, I will be using several utility replacements to get a usable Start menu that Microsoft isn't "updating" and "improving" on a quarterly basis, and to replace other things that have been removed by Microsoft. I will probably end up with some sort of Control Panel replacement to use in place of Microsoft's current practice of scattering controls everywhere and hiding about half of them. I will probably also investigate a utility that allows me to move taskbar items to the order I want them to appear in.

Microsoft wants you to do things their way, and they don't seem to care if their user interface changes reduce your productivity to 20% of what it was previously.

What I miss most from XP that I have not found a replacement for is the ability to save positions and views for Windows Explorer folder windows.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/.../desktop_1.jpg
    I use Classic Shell with Win7, so I got some of the old UI back. But I had originally made XP resemble Win 98, so my 7 UI now looks like 98. UI only.

I can reorder the tabs in my taskbar. Did you mean systray?

The thing that drives me nuts is that if you open a single folder on your desktop, you're presented with the entire filing system. I feel like I'm in cave.

I'll put the latest mystery in a separate thread.

I can reorder the tabs in my taskbar. Did you mean systray?
    No, I don't really care about the order of the System Tray / Notification Area icons. I will often have a dozen Windows Explorer windows, a dozen Internet Explorer windows, half a dozen Word documents and half a dozen Excel workbooks, along with several .pdf files and who knows what else open. I have the taskbar set to show separate icons for each window, but you cannot re-arrange the order of the taskbar icons/buttons. If Windows decides to change the order of them for some reason, or if you want to change the order of the IE icons for example, you cannot do that. You can hover the mouse pointer over each icon to read what it is for, but if I had to do that each time I wanted to find the proper window, I wouldn't get much work done. That takes far too long. If they are always in the same order, you don't have to check each one to find the one you need.

The thing that drives me nuts is that if you open a single folder on your desktop, you're presented with the entire filing system. I feel like I'm in cave.
    With Windows Explorer, you should be able to turn off the Navigation Pane so you see only the subfolders and files in a folder.

I wouldn't bother with Ultimate Windows Tweaker. That last time I checked, there was an issue with the GUI not showing up. I think one of the Windows Updates broke it.

One of the problems with XP was the "documents and settings" folder. It added unnecessary extra characters to the filepaths. So it was logical to cut it down to "Users" instead. I know change is hard, but there are some good reasons for it.

If you are using Classic Shell, you can add a custom shortcut to your MyDDocs folder.

How do I add a custom folder to the start menu?

You can add any existing folder to the start menu. Go to the Start Menu Settings dialog, open the Customize Start Menu tab and add a new custom item.

For Classic or Classic with two columns style: Add a custom item by dragging the "Custom" item from the right column to the left column in the location you wish. Now double click the Custom item in the left column to bring up the "Edit Menu Item" dialog. In the Link field of this dialog, specify the path for the folder and check the options you want (Don't expand, Multi-column etc)

For Windows 7 style: Add a custom item by right-click anywhere in the item list on Customize Start Menu tab, and then click "Insert New Item". Change the type of the new item to "Custom". Drag the icon up or down to position it wherever you want. After you created the new custom item, right-click on it and select "Edit Item". Pick a folder from the Link dropdown list, or click on the [...] button to select another folder. Change the label or the icon if you wish. Select "Don't Expand" if you wish the folder to not be expandable as a sub-menu.

That's fine, Midnyte, I can do without the Tweaker; Classic Shell is enough. I mentioned TweakUI only because it moved My Docs to another partition without a fuss.

I've been adding my own folders to the Start Menu for years, but not the Special Items at the bottom. I have some programs grouped by category to shorten the list.

jdc--why can you not rearrange the taskbar tabs and I can? You've tweaked it?

Attachment 14243
    Last edited by foxy; March 20th, 2017 at 10:19 PM.

If you look at the image from this link:

You will see the taskbar icons at the bottom next to the Start button. You can move groups of them, but not individual icons. If I have 6 Internet Explorer windows open, I can move the entire group of 6, but I cannot re-arrange the order within that group.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    If you look at the image from this link:

You will see the taskbar icons at the bottom next to the Start button. You can move groups of them, but not individual icons. If I have 6 Internet Explorer windows open, I can move the entire group of 6, but I cannot re-arrange the order within that group.
    Never noticed that. Maybe there's a utility somewhere to unglue them.

Thread Information