[RESOLVED] 2 strange program installations

Thread: [RESOLVED] 2 strange program installations

Resolved [RESOLVED] 2 strange program installations

In XP, Opera installed in Program Files, a perfectly normal place. In Win 7, the Opera 43 Start Menu shortcut points to an installation in C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Programs\Opera\launcher.exe,
    a location normally for a profile. And Opera seems to be functioning perfectly. Weird.

However, my Firefox extension "Open with Opera" refuses to accept that strange location. Should I just uninstall and reinstall?

PowerPoint Viewer installed into a normal Program Files (86) folder. Excel Viewer didn't set up a P F folder, and a search for it in SuperFinder, which I use instead of Windows Search, came up with this, mostly in the infamous Application Data Hall of Mirrors. Is there no exe file I can link to?

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/ph...earch.jpg.html
    Last edited by foxy; March 30th, 2017 at 11:35 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

mostly in the infamous Application Data Hall of Mirrors.
    You should repair the default Windows Junction Points. Taking ownership of the Junction point is probably screwing a lot of things up. I'd uninstall and reinstall the apps after you restore the Junction Points.

Download Junction Box: http://iwrconsultancy.co.uk/junctionbox

To restore default Windows Junction point permissions:
    Extract JunctionBox201.zip to a folder
    Run JunctionBox.exe
    In the Profile Folder field, choose the profile/username you want to restore
    Click Restore Junctions
    Select DefaultJunctions.ntj
    Click Open

I don't use Opera or the "Open with Opera" extension, so maybe someone else can assist with that. Are you sure it's compatible with the latest versions of Firefox and Opera?

"Are you sure it's compatible with the latest versions of Firefox and Opera?"

The extension? Yes for FF. Opera's my secondary browser for pages that don't look right in FF. Compat w Opera? Don't know. Opera is structured like Chrome.

Ran the zip file. 5 errors "Can not open file." Should I run it as the Secret Underpaid Admin?

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you mean "ran the zip file"? You have to extract the files first, then run the .exe. Yes, you should run it as an administrator.

That's what I meant. Ran it. Did "Backup." Restored Junctions for "All profiles and system junctions" and it created a file defaultjunctions.ntj, which I opened. Is that it, aside from reinstalling those 2 programs? The rest of the instructions at IWR aren't clear to me.

Restored Junctions for "All profiles and system junctions" and it created a file defaultjunctions.ntj, which I opened. Is that it, aside from reinstalling those 2 programs? The rest of the instructions at IWR aren't clear to me.
    That's not what I said to do. You're supposed to RESTORE the default settings, not backup your current settings. I gave you the exact steps.

Download Junctionbox201.zip again, because you need the DefaultJunctions.ntj file. Do NOT overwrite this file!

To restore default Windows Junction point permissions:
    Extract JunctionBox201.zip to a folder
    Run JunctionBox.exe
    In the Profile Folder field, choose the profile/username you want to restore
    Click Restore Junctions
    Select DefaultJunctions.ntj
    Click Open

Thread Information