[RESOLVED] Missing Network Adapter...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Missing Network Adapter...

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Missing Network Adapter...

Hello, We had storm and it knocked out the modem, they replaced Modem with WIFI, instead of using a router. My boss can connect just fine, but my Dell, windows 7, pc, says the network adapter is missing... I don't know about the nic card, what kind it is... I will go to Dell and see if I can find out.
    How do you install a Network Adapter? I downloaded the drivers for nic cards, all of them because I haven't found out what kind yet... I also downloaded the Chipset driver, but does no good to install those..Nothing..
    I opened the pc and thought I would reseat the Nic card, but to my surprise, it was a little square silver box, no Nic card??

Anyone have this before, or know how to fix it?

Thanks
    Patti

they replaced Modem with WIFI, instead of using a router.
    What do you mean instead of a router?

How do you install a Network Adapter? I downloaded the drivers for nic cards, all of them because I haven't found out what kind yet.
    You need to find out exactly which NIC you have.

I opened the pc and thought I would reseat the Nic card, but to my surprise, it was a little square silver box, no Nic card??
    That means it's an onboard NIC.

What is the exact model number of the Dell? Is it 32 or 64 bit Win7?

anks

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    What do you mean instead of a router?

the guy said it has WIFI in modem, don't need router... don't know, that is what he said

You need to find out exactly which NIC you have.

When I look under the model at Dell site, it has several adapters listed, not sure which one I have...

That means it's an onboard NIC.

What is the exact model number of the Dell? Is it 32 or 64 bit Win7?
    Inspiron 560 64 bit, do you need service tag #? Win 7

Thanks Midknyte....

Don't need the service tag.

This should be the NIC driver:
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...driverId=8XJ72

Thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow when I get back to work... Appreciate your help...

It wouldn't install, tried again and did the repair, still nothing. Said it couldn't find it.
    This is what it said the first and second time I tried installing it, "Realtek Network Controller was not found. If deep sleep mode is enabled. Please Plug Cable" I don't understand what that means.. I have this computer set to never sleep.. The light does not come on when I plug cable in at all... Do you think the Nic is dead?
    Thanks for help, anything else I can try?

What does Device Manager show for Network Adapters?

You could check the BIOS settings in case there is one to turn off the network adapter. If there is, make sure it is not set to have the network adapter off.

If the network adapter is fried, which is quite possible if the cable was connected to the network during the storm, you would need to install a network adapter card.

I checked in Bios and it is enabled.... It's a onboard nic, how complicated would that be to install?
    Thanks...

If it is enabled in the BIOS and Device Manager does not show it or any Unknown devices, then it may be time for a replacement:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16833114081

Inspiron 560 manuals:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...on-560/manuals

Replacement should be easy.

Ok Thanks jdc2000, I appreciate your help. I am going to go ahead and order one...

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    We had storm and it knocked out the modem
    Just a note after the guys fixed your problem. Before thunderstorms starts unplug the computer and your Ethernet cable from the computer because storms can fry them if you leave it plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    Just a note after the guys fixed your problem. Before thunderstorms starts unplug the computer and your Ethernet cable from the computer because storms can fry them if you leave it plugged in.
    Had 2 clients who had that happen. The case was all that could be saved.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Older brother and girlfriend same thing happened. Just luckily I had an extra motherboard here and was able to get them up and running again. Left a warning, next time, unplug the Ethernet cable too, not just the computer.

Thanks I will remember that from now on. The storm came up so fast, we had no warning..

Well I got the new card installed and I am back online now. Should I do anything with the one that is onboard? Will it cause any problems?

I want to thank all of you that helped me, jdc2000 thanks for the link, I ordered that one and it is working just fine now.....

It should just sit there and do nothing. I generally disable the onboard in the BIOS normally when they go bad.

Thread Information