The nested Application Data folders, redux

Thread: The nested Application Data folders, redux

The nested Application Data folders, redux

Several days ago, someone here helped me understand that the
    C:\ProgramData\Applic Data and Users\etc
    folders, nested about 30 layers deep, have no useful info for me, because they're shortcuts to shortcuts. OK.

I might be wrong, but I think CCleaner doesn't search inside folders. I've been using Super Finder XT for years because it gives me more search parameters.

Today I searched for .tmp and .chk files to delete on C, and the search looked like this, with 3332 files found, although some are just shortcuts, I guess. Is it OK to toss them?

Attachment 14229
    Last edited by foxy; March 14th, 2017 at 08:55 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

CCleaner does search inside folders.

I'm not familiar with Super Finder XT, so I don't know why it is seeing those files. I suspect it's because you took ownership of the junction point when you weren't supposed to. I suspect that's why you're having issues with other applications. You can try clearing them out if you want.

I only looked at them, didn't touch them. And taking ownership should have made those 2 program easier to install, not less able. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by foxy; March 14th, 2017 at 10:16 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking ownership of a junction point is not the same thing as taking ownership of folders. There are no folders; they are virtual mount points. In any case, it would probably be safer to go with CCleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Taking ownership of a junction point is not the same thing as taking ownership of folders. There are no folders; they are virtual mount points. In any case, it would probably be safer to go with CCleaner.
    Turned out hat SuperFinder couldn't delete more than 1 file at a time I don't usually use it for junk files. However, after running Cleaner, TFC found 50 more MB of junk.

Here's the installation problem: I temporarily set up the hidden Admin account. LibreOffice, both versions, kept telling me they couldn't get access into some subfolders of Program Data, and asked if those folders really existed. Eventually so many of those error messages, that they didn't install at all. I went back to OpenOffice. I had to install and reinstall Classic Shell 4 times for the same reason. What would you have done?

You're talking about your other thread? I thought you had that settled already? I can reply there.

Thread Information