[RESOLVED] Need something to read an .xls file

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need something to read an .xls file

Threaded View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Need something to read an .xls file

This should simple, and XP did it without hitches. I need something to read an Excel document.

I'm not using MS Office, and I've done nicely with OpenOffice for years. I was using LastPass for my PWs, and exporting the password database into a csv file.

--Excel Viewer reads it, but it's still a csv file, close to gibberish. Until I changed PW managers it didn't bother me, because the database was stored online and I could consult it.

Yesterday I switched to DashLane, and happily exported my database to an xls file. I need this for backup, because DashLane doesn't store your database online. backup.

--Excel Viewer says it can't read it. I think the latest one is from 2008.

--Open Office v3 and v4 can't read it, said I need Java runtime. I had dumped Java some time back.

--I D/L LibreOffice v.5 (64), and it wouldn't install because "it needs access to C:\ProgramData"
    I gave that folder permission for the SYSTEM, clicked "retry."
    It appeared to be installing, except for the shortcut, which created an error message. But there's nothing in Program Files or Start Menu.

--I D/L Libre Office (86) v.5 It also appeared to be installing, but there's nothing in Prog (x86)Files or in the Start Menu.

--I have an old copy of MS Office 2003, but I don't know if that old Excel will read a new xls file.

I've spent half of the day on this. My hatred of Win 7(64) is building. I might just put XP back on the web.
    Last edited by foxy; March 12th, 2017 at 09:00 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information