[RESOLVED] Need something to read an .xls file - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need something to read an .xls file

SP2 will never arrive for Win 7.

Win 10 is alright. I could not stand 8 at all. Drove me to Linux, which I found to be easier than Win 98 to learn.

Did you look at the Event Viewer logs? That might give you an idea of the actual problem.

I don't think UAC was the problem, but you can disable it if you want.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...windows-vista/

Midnyte--

I marked it resolved because Excel opened that file, but I didn't resolve the problem of programs denied access to C:\Program Data. I gave up on Libre Office, wasn't worth any more time, and I went back to Open Office.

Event Viewer, Duh!--Just before I logged on here, I see a bunch of "Access is denied" and "Application can not initialize" errors

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Check the details on those errors. If we could find the name of the application that could not initialize, or the folder where the access was denied, we might be able to help you fix the issue. It could be that some sort of issue was caused by taking ownership of the files or junction points. It is also possible that a non-destructive repair install of Windows might fix the issue without causing other problems. Before trying that however, I would still advise creating an image backup of your current installation.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&s...stall&*&spf=64

It doesn't say which application, but I know that's when I tried installing 2 versions of LibreOffice, just before I got on here. I'm not going to pursue this unless it happens with a vital program. I'm not retired ;-)

Now that all my programs are in, I'll be doing a clone anyway.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information