[RESOLVED] Need something to read an .xls file
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need something to read an .xls file

Resolved [RESOLVED] Need something to read an .xls file

This should simple, and XP did it without hitches. I need something to read an Excel document.

I'm not using MS Office, and I've done nicely with OpenOffice for years. I was using LastPass for my PWs, and exporting the password database into a csv file.

--Excel Viewer reads it, but it's still a csv file, close to gibberish. Until I changed PW managers it didn't bother me, because the database was stored online and I could consult it.

Yesterday I switched to DashLane, and happily exported my database to an xls file. I need this for backup, because DashLane doesn't store your database online. backup.

--Excel Viewer says it can't read it. I think the latest one is from 2008.

--Open Office v3 and v4 can't read it, said I need Java runtime. I had dumped Java some time back.

--I D/L LibreOffice v.5 (64), and it wouldn't install because "it needs access to C:\ProgramData"
    I gave that folder permission for the SYSTEM, clicked "retry."
    It appeared to be installing, except for the shortcut, which created an error message. But there's nothing in Program Files or Start Menu.

--I D/L Libre Office (86) v.5 It also appeared to be installing, but there's nothing in Prog (x86)Files or in the Start Menu.

--I have an old copy of MS Office 2003, but I don't know if that old Excel will read a new xls file.

I've spent half of the day on this. My hatred of Win 7(64) is building. I might just put XP back on the web.
    Last edited by foxy; March 12th, 2017 at 09:00 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

R[click the LibreOffice installer and select Install as Administrator, or words to that effect.

Office 2003 should read an .xls file.

Does it matter whether I use the 32 or the 64? My programs are about evenly divided between the 2.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are referring to Office 2003, install the 32 bit version regardless of whether you are using 32 bit or 64 bit Windows, unless you need to access really enormous spreadsheets.

No, I was referring to LibreOffice versions. This little chart would be the sum total of Excel that I would ever do, ad it's not even a spreadsheet, just a 200-row table.

Train--
    Tried the L.O.(86). There is no "as admin" in the context menu, but I Took Ownership. When it failed to create the shortcut in the Start Menu, it rolled back and closed.

"Internal error 2902: ixoShortcutPropertyCreate." Rolled back again, nothing installed. I know this is connected to the crazy UAC in this OS.

Next is Office 2003, later. I might just type up the table manually with Copy-Paste from the csv.
    Last edited by foxy; March 13th, 2017 at 12:10 PM.

The error you received when attempting to install LibreOffice has been reported by a few other users, but no cause or fix has been found that I have seen. I have not had any issues with installing LibreOffice. You could try installing it when logged in to the hidden Administrator account in Windows 7. You could also check to see if the Windows Installer version 3.1 is installed on your computer, as detailed in the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-3.0-installed

LibreOffice error link:

https://listarchives.libreoffice.org.../msg43906.html

Try 5.2.5 portable
    https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/

http://download.documentfoundation.o...andard.paf.exe

Yes a slightly older version, but Win 7 is older too.

I was finally able to install Office 2003 (86), just Word and Excel, and read and print the xls file.

Office also had the problem of not being able to access the same folder. I took Ownership, I let myself and SYSTEM access it. I swung a dead chicken around my head three time, I said a little barucha. Nada. But it's not a vital folder.
    I made the shortcuts manually.
    C:\program data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Train--"hidden Administrator account"
    is that diff from being the only Admin, which I am?

Does anyone know why Excel Viewer (duh!) can't read an xls file?
    Last edited by foxy; March 13th, 2017 at 05:38 PM.

How to enable the hidden Administrator account in Windows 7:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...windows-vista/

https://www.petri.com/enable-the-win...trator-account

This account has more capabilities than a regular Administrator account. It is also unlikely to be affected (at least if it has not been previously enabled) by any user account profile corruption issues.

Possibly useful link for the folder issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-3df47435e5a9

As to why Excel Viewer cannot read an .xls file, one possible answer is that is not really an .xls file - it just has an .xls extension. If you make a COPY of that file and rename the copy to have a .txt extension, and double click on it, see what you get. If you get a file that you can read all parts of in Notepad, then it isn't really an .xls file, which is what Excel Viewer would be expecting. I use an application that does this - it saves reports as an .xls file, but the actual format is .html. This can cause issues if you don't re-save it from Excel in a real .xls format.

Set it to show extensions. Run into a few files that were like XXXXXXX.docx.xls.

Displaying the File Extension in Windows Vista and Windows 7

Click the Start menu. This is the round icon that is on the bottom left corner of your screen.

Type "folder options" (without the quotes). Click the line "Folder Options" that appears at the top of the Start menu.

A dialog box with the title "Folder Options" will appear. Click the "View" tab at the top of the window.

Click to uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types".

Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the dialog box.

Train--I always have extensions showing. Windows and I are old frenemies.

And you would recommend turning off the Hidden Admin after the problem is solved? For security. Or leave it in the context menu and use it judiciously? I feel so empowered.

I typed "cmd" but I don't have "Run as administrator" in the context menu
    Cut
    Cop
    Paste
    Delete
    Right to left reading order
    Show unicode control characters
    Insert unicode control characters
    Open IME
    Last edited by foxy; March 13th, 2017 at 09:52 PM.

If you click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, one of the items you should see is Command Prompt. You should be able to right-click on that and select Run as Administrator.

If you decide to leave the hidden Administrator account active, you should make sure it has a strong password on it - one that no one could ever possibly guess. Even then, you should not log in to that account unless you really need it - it is not for everyday use.

Now I have it. "The command completed successfully."

I won't be using it regularly, too easy for hackers. Of about 60 programs I installed, and I'm done, only 2 gave me that problem. The UAC on Win 7 goes way overboard, and I've heard about Vista. I don't even want to see 8.1 and 10. ever. never ever.
    Last edited by foxy; March 13th, 2017 at 11:27 PM.

Here's another UAC installation issue tonight. Classic Shell64 wasn't responding totally, so I uninstalled and reinstalled. But most of the files wouldn't install and the Program File folder was empty. Then I tried a newer version that was worse. I tried rt-click "As Admin" and it didn't help. Tried 2 reboots, because CS affects the Start Menu structure. After 4 Revo uninstalls and then reinstalls, and several #1909 errors, it finally installed all files except the Start Menu Shortcut. I can't wait till SP 2 comes out.

Thread Information